twelve

Since that day, Alaric hasn't dropped me off at Stefan's house, he lets me stay home alone. He doesn't want me leaving the house, but who can stay cooped up in a house all day. I feel really bad for the women back then. They stayed at home and dedicated their lives to their husbands and children. I can't do that.

I close the door and lock it with the keys Alaric gave me the other day. I walk outside and see Matt standing out there by his car pacing back and forth. I walk over to him and wait for him to see me but he never does.

"Hey Matt, what are you doing here," I ask him. I guess he was startled by me because he reached for his gun but saw me and stopped.

"I just wanted to apologize for what happened. You're under aged, you and I both could get in some real trouble," he says.

"Yeah, don't worry about it," I say smiling, "We are friends though right?" He smiles, "of course. And I thought you couldn't leave the house," he asks me with his eyebrows furrowed. Well, busted. "Actually I was coming to grab something that fell out the side if the building. The window was open so I dropped it," I say waking over to the bushes behind us.

"Oh really? Well, I happen to be a trained professional. I know when someone is lying and ma'am you surely are. I think I'll need to arrest you," he says jokingly. I laugh, "Alright, I just don't like staying in that house all day everyday. I just needed to take a walk." He nods, "Well I'm sure Alaric won't mind if I walk you, since I'm you know, a police officer," he says pointing to his badge.

"I'm sure he won't, but you can't leave your car can you," I ask tilting my head. He looks at the car and then back at me, "I'm helping a civilian, I won't get in trouble." I smirk, "oh yeah? What do I need help with," I ask. "Walking. You're obviously limping," he says picking me up bridal style and starts carrying me.

"Hey, I'm a strong woman I can take care-" I start to say but stop when my eyes meet his. He snaps out of it and puts me down, "Um, I should get going."

"Oh yeah, me too. See you later," I say awkwardly and start walking back to the house.

He's obviously uncomfortable with us. He wants to be friends but we always end up in a position friends aren't in. What does he want?