twenty-seis

"Tyler would love to stay with you all day if you want to stay with him," Matt says to me. I shake my head no and start to walk away.

"I won't let you stay alone, you shouldn't be alone at this time," Matt says grabbing my arm before I get too far.

I turn around and face him, "Matt, I'm not a child. Please stop treating me like one. I can take care of myself," I say walking away.

Matt wanted to argue about it, he wanted to say that he doesn't think I'm a kid. We all know the truth. I came into their lives because Alaric had to take me in. I'm 17, younger than most of the people around me. But Matt didn't argue, he knew when he needed to stop. And that's one of the things I really like about him.

I walk for about a minute or two and a white car comes up next to me. The window rolls down and Matt comes into sight. "The least I could do is give you a ride home," Matt says reaching over and opening the car door. I sigh and get into the car.

"I have everyone working on the case. They will find your father and they will put him in a jail where it's impossible to sneak out," Matt says putting a hand on my thigh.

We finally stop in front of Alaric's house and I start to get out of the car when a hand stopped me. "Your mother wouldn't want you to cry. My mother use to say that when you cry over the dead it hurts them," Matt says. I turn back and look into his eyes. He leans forward and kisses me.

At first I didn't kiss back because I didn't want to kiss him. But I couldn't seem to stop myself, my lips just moved like it was an instinct. I poured all my emotions out in that kiss while tears rolled down my eyes.

I pull away put still keep my forehead touching his, "Thanks for making an exception and kissing me in public. It won't happen again."

I walk into Alaric's house and lay down on the bed. This day could not have gone any worse.