eighteen

"Is he giving you the stink eye," Caroline asks me. Matt has been staring at me like I buried his cat alive or something. It seems sad, but then angry at the same time.

"I have no idea, I wish he would stop. I feel so uncomfortable," I say moving my shoulders amity a disgusted look on my face.

"Hello there beautiful," a very familiar voice says behind me. "Damon, what do you want," I ask him without even facing him. "Now, why would you think I want something. Can't I just admire my date without it meaning anything," he says hugging me from behind.

"Look, all the blue eyed puppy needs is a little push. He's practically crying standing there alone with you here with someone else," Damon whispers in my ear.

"It's not what it looks like. I'm too young for him, I'm 17 and he's an adult according to the law," I whisper back. "You're 300 years too young for me, but I'm still feeling you up," Damon whispers.

"Do you even know what feeling up means? You're just giving me a hug from behind you aren't feeling me up," I laugh. "I don't understand you young kid's slang," Damon says chuckling.

"Alright, I'm done with this," I say getting out of Damon's hug and see Matt. He was kissing some girl I've never seen before.

I didn't know that it would hurt, but it kind of does. It feels like my heart is on fire, and my tears feel like dropping out of my eyeballs.

"Baby, don't let anyone be the cause of you shedding your precious tears."

I suck in a breath and hold it. That makes my heart burn a little more, but it help the tears go away.

"Do you want to get out of here," Damon asks me seriously.

"No, I'm fine. I just want to be alone for awhile," I say as I start walking over to the logs beside the fire. I'm pretty sure nobody would care if I leave, but it would raise up a question and Alaric would feel awkward. He deserves this night off, he should get a break from all the drama he has in his life.

The little talks I had with Matt meant a lot. They usually took my mind off of all the awful things that have happened. I guess I just developed feelings for him as well. The way he gets all serious even in between of a laughing attack he had when he gets a little call on his walkie talkie, the way his eyes scrunch up when he's laughing, the way he just makes me feel safe, are all the reasons why I want him with me and not with some other girl. But, his career would be on the line if anything ever even happened between us, he loves his job, I would never jeopardize that. I want him to be happy.