twenty-cinco

My eyes were filled with tears when I had finally reached my destination. The police station. I walk inside and see exactly the man I was looking for. Matt.

But when he sees me, he looks like a stone. I walk over to him, before I could say anything he says, "What are you doing here? You agreed to us being a secret. I thought you were okay with it."

"My father came to see me. I guess he escaped jail. I just wanted you to know so the police would be alert when they see him," I say as the build up of tears that was in my eyes finally came out.

The man who killed my mother came to see me. He knocked on the door and said an innocent 'hi' and 'hello' but we all know that isn't innocent. He came to let me know that he could escape jail, where there are many police officers and guards all over the place. He could definitely hurt me. I am not scared of him. Just seeing him brought all the memories of that night back, that's why I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't save my mother.

I look up at his blue eyes that were now filled with concern and smiled weakly and walked back outside.

"Zara, wait," Matt yells from behind. I wipe the tears that were falling and looked back at him. "I'm sorry I was so harsh back there. You know, you can stay with me all day. Or you could stay with someone else, I want you to be safe," he says. He goes to touch my shoulder and I flinch back.

My father had an arm around these shoulders and a knife on my neck right after he murdered my mom. The only family I had, she was all I needed.

"I'm going to call Tyler," Matt says as he pulls out his phone and after a few clicks, puts it on his ear.

I'm just a bother to everyone. My boyfriend has to call people to look after me, I'm so useless. I need to put the people around me out of their misery.

I will run away, soon. Far away from these people. People who had a great life before me. When the time is right, I will leave.