RESEMBLANCE

"There's an end to every storm, once all the trees have been uprooted, once all the houses have been ripped apart, the wind will hush, the clouds will part. The rain will stop, the sky will clear in an instant and only then, in those quiet moments after the storm do we learn who was strong enough to survive it." - Grey's anatomy
__________________________________

Drip, drip, drip.

The sound Temari woke up to. Temari woke up from a constant dripping sound tapping against the window. She slowly opened her eyes as she groggily sat up and looked around her confused. She was still at the hospital sitting in the chair next to the bed Shikamaru was sleeping in.

He looked so serene and stress free. She imagined him dreaming of the emerald green hill he loved to sleep on, where the brilliant sun shone and illuminated the earth beneath, with lazy fluffy clouds floating about while he slept under the cool shade of his beloved tree. A time where he was carefree and not robbed of his joy.

A time when Asuma wasn't brutally killed and he was still innocent. A time when he didn't have this much responsibility and could take a nap anytime he wanted to. A time when his father wasn't killed by war and his mother was still smiling. A time when all his friends were still alive and laughing with him. A time when she wasn't as broken as now.

The good old times.

She wished he could come back to those times of bliss, he didn't deserve this, but she knew he would only wake up to a hill that lost its rich color and gloomy grey clouds that hang heavily in the sky where his adored tree couldn't protect him from the sun's radiant light because of the somber grey clouds hiding it. It made the tree look lonely and deprived of joy.

The reality where a war brewed between Konoha and Orochimaru, Neji was dead as well as his father and Asuma. A reality where Mirai grew up without a father and Kurenai lost the man she loved.

A reality where his mother spent her days growing old alone without her husband and his dear blond teammate was fatherless. A reality where Hinata was pregnant during a war and Tenten lost her teammate as well as someone she loved.

A reality where the troublesome woman Shikamaru fell in love with didn't remember him. It was tragic really. Wouldn't it be lovely to never wake up and just stay in our blissful dreams or one day wake up to paradise?

Temari frowned slightly, what made her think that Shikamaru's, Ino and Mirai's fathers where dead. Nobody ever told her that and her memories haven't developed that far, but she just couldn't shake this feeling that this is how it is.

Temari only had planned to lie down on her arms for a minute after the assassins left, to rest her dreary eyes, but in the end her tired eyes dragged her to the depths of her own dreams. Temari stood up tiredly when suddenly there was an explosion. Temari's eyes widened as she ran to the window while the sound of explosions and fighting became clearer and more constant.

She saw flashes of explosions mix in with the intimidating light of lightning while the smoke of the aftermath of destruction rose freely to the grey clouds above, blending with them, becoming a unusual mix of suffocating smoke and unrestricting clouds. They intoxicated one another, an unending blend.

The war has started.

Temari scowled as she pushed herself away from the window and ran out the room. She caught a nurse's shoulder that was running down the corridor in a hurry. She spun around to face Temari impatiently, yet still politely.

Temari gasped and staggered away from the nurse in surprise when the nurse spun around and Temari saw her face. She gaped at the nurse like she'd seen a ghost.