♪Chapter Nine♪

Nobody did the challenge? Aww I'm so sad :(

"I just lost it. And I can't believe it." Losing It, NeverShoutNever

~*~

By by the time Luke dropped me at home, it was pretty dark outside. I was beaten and tired from the events of the day, and I could have really used some time alone.

But when I opened the front door, I knew I wouldn't be getting any.

"Mom, why are you crying?!" I asked. She sat alone in our dark living room, crying her eyes out. She didn't even look up at me. The only time I had ever seen her cry was when my grandparents died.

"You...you...." She managed to say. I raised an eyebrow.

"Me?" Then I realized. "Mom, I'm sorry, I went to Brisbane to see Ashleen and I didn't want anyone to know. I'm so sor-"

"No, y-your father."

My eyes went wide. "Dad...? What's up with dad? Is he alright?!" At that moment, my heart was beating way too loud in my chest, as if it was in my ears. I felt all the blood in my body rush to my face, and a mixture of anger and sadness gather there.

She quickly whipped away her tears, and faced me. "He's gone."

I just stared into her blue eyes, trying to absorb everything. "Gone? He's dead?!"

"No, I mean I don't know!" She cried. "This morning, he just went up and left. I don't know where he went."

That night as I fell asleep, I had two things to cry about: Ashleen, and my dad. My brain kept fighting off sleep, making if impossible for me to even get a second of rest. I knew that if I slept, my dreams - my nightmares - would be haunted by memories of them.

I pulled out my cracked iPhone, and went into the notes app. There, I typed what I was feeling in my heart. "Torn in two, and I know I shouldn't tell you but I just can't stop thinking of you. Wherever you are."

Although that meant what I felt, I couldn't just stop there. I couldn't just leave that one line because I felt so much more, and the more I read, it the more I felt.

So I continued. "I wish I didn't have to be gone, maybe you've already moved on. But the truth is I don't want to know."

I pondered what I should say next. My brain was a pile of fuzz at that point, and I was trying to pull ideas out of that fuzz. After a while of thinking, I finally came up with, "For a while we pretended that we never had to end it. But we knew we had to say goodbye."

Everything was coming at me so out of order, and I couldn't take it. Instead, I forced sleep to take me away in its forgiving arms.

"Good morning, Ashton."

I grumpily opened my heavy eyes to find my mother staring down at me. I took a look over at my clock, only to find out that I has over slept by four hours. "Crap." I yelled.

"Don't worry," my mom said. "I let you sleep in today."

Oh.

"What? Why?"

She sighed, and sat down on my bed. "Because I know things have been tough for you lately. It just seems like you need a break from...life." She smiled, trying to make me feel better. Trying to make herself feel better. "So what do you want to do...?"

"Uh, I dunno-"

"What about a new phone? You've been saying that your old one cracked," She offered.

I smiled at her offer. "Sure."

Standing in the front of the apple store line, I whined, "Mom, you don't have to get me a new pho-"

"No, Ashton, you need one." She insisted. I needed a new phone, but not the newest one. I would be perfectly happy with the four.

"What color do you want?" She asked, genuinely getting excited.

Money was never an issue - as far as I knew. We always had plenty of it. But just because we had some extra, doesn't mean we should waste it on dumb things...

"I don't know, green or something?"

I had skipped school that day, and my mom didn't even care. But when I got home, I was greeted by a few people who did.

I saw what I thought of as friends, knocking rather aggressively on my front door. I was a little apprehensive to open it, but when I did, Luke said, "Skipping school?" And after, he scoffed.

"Kinda," I said, unlocking the front door screen to let them in. They followed me into my living room, where I said, "It's not that important anyway."

Calum shrugged, and looked off into the distance. "Well, here's all the crap you have to do for homework." He said, handing me a stack of paper.

I took it, and shoved it somewhere in my backpack.

A long awkward pause washed over us, and we stood staring at each other.

"About the talent show," I started.

"I don't think we can do it." Michael added. He threw himself into one of my white sofas, and let out a loud grunt. "We don't have enough time to practice it together with you on drums or even with us on guitars, we have t-"

"It's okay, don't worry about it." I assured. "I got a song that I've been writing. And I think it's about done. But if course, it's going to take some hard work."

"And what are you going to name this?" Luke asked, smiling down at the lyrics on my phone. He was utterly taken aback by the song, and even added his own little touches. He helped make up most of the song, I have to admit.

"I don't know yet, but we have to add some stuff to it first." I told him honestly.

"Songwriting usually takes forever, and we only have a few days," Calum admitted. He threw his hat on the coffee table, grabbed the remote, and turned on sponge bob. I could tell at that moment he just wanted to go home and do nothing.

"Well," Michael sighed, but then brightly smiled. He was always optimistic, and whatever he said was always spoken from his mind. "We better start it now."