☆Chapter Three☆

I am really hating going to school because I have cross country..uck. So instead of doing homework, I write

"Back in high school, we used to take it slow."

~*~

It was getting deeper into Fall by the second. Leaves were quickly falling down as I walked to school that day, and I watched them as I sat in my lonely desk in science. Just like the leaves of Fall, I too, was changing.

When lunch had arrived, I was deciding if I should or should not go to the try outs. I should because what do I have to lose? I shouldn't because what if I'm terrible and lose the only people who have been trying to be my friends?

My shyness was taking over me, and I was not usually like that. Usually I'm confident and outgoing, but it's kinda hard to be those things when I don't know anybody. As I stepped into the crisp breeze of that Fall morning, I instantly wished I was able to stay home, and call my girlfriend.

Finally deciding to just stop by to say hello, I pushed open the band room door. All eyes landed on me, excluding the person's pair of eyes who were concentrating on drumming. The drummer was doing alright: he was keeping up a sloppy beat, but he made his point clear.

I waited until whoever-his-name-is stopped playing, and proceeded to stand by the people that I thought of as friends. Most of them were guys spotted with a few girls here and there. Putting on the happiest face I could muster, I said, "Hey, guys. How's the auditions going?"

Calum sighed, and stared at the ground. He wore a black beanie on top of his dark hair, which seemed to poke out under his hat. Luke swore under his breath, not bothering to say anything. Michael said, "Not as great as I thought. No one has really caught our eyes yet- they're all just regulars from band, they're percussion." He said within a whisper only we could hear.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I don't know if we will even get a drummer. But what's a band without one?"

I wondered what I should do, and in a matter of moments I unconsciously said, "Wana let me have a go?"

They all stared at me with wide, open eyes. "What?" Luke exclaimed. "You play?"

"...Yeah. I've been playing for awhile, but I'm doing alright." I told them, not wanting to sound like a hot shot. But it was true. I was doing alright for myself.

"Well, go! I bet it'll be better than anyone we've hea-"

All of the drummers that had already auditioned stared Luke down, ready to pounce on him if he finished his sentence.

"Never mind?" He tried.

Some rolled their eyes, and some just ignored him. Calum playfully punched him in the arm, as if to say, "Great choice of words, bro."

After watching the not-so-much-display-of-affection, I took a seat on the stool. Which was disgustingly warm when I sat in it. "I'm just going to...try," I told them.

After counting to three in my mind, I felt as ready as I would ever become. I hated the fact that everyone was watching me all judgey-eyed, waiting for me to screw up.

But I didn't not screw up because I was worried about them - no, I did it because I wanted to prove that I was worth something more than what I looked like. I didn't want anyone to think of me as just another high school failure.

After the mix-match song I managed to pull off, I sat awkwardly still in the warm stool. I hadn't heard anyone else's but the guy who went before me's routine wouldn't beat mine. But then again, I could be making myself so much better than I am.

"I'll let you guys know who got the part later today, via email." Said Calum. The way he said it felt like he had said, "You all suck, but we have to pick one. So. Get out."

As everyone was filing out of the band room, I felt a slight tug on the sleeve of my sweat shirt. "Hey, Ashton."

I turned around to find that Luke had whispered to me. Calum motioned for me to step aside instead of leave, and I stood next to them. Michael silently shut the door behind the drummers, and turned to me. "So you defiantly got the part."

Managing to squeeze all of my excitement behind a failing poker face, I said, "Really? Thanks, guys. That's pretty cool." They all took their turns patting me on the back, and congratulating me.

"But I hope you know that with this, hard work comes." Said Michael, finally putting on a serious face for once. "There's practice during lunch everyday."

"But what do I eat?" I had to ask.

"We don't care, just not at lunch. You're busy then," Calum said, plastering on a gigantic smile. "Welcome to Bromance."

"Oh, and about that," I said, thinking about the title more closely now, "We need a better name."

Luke narrowed his eyes, and met mine. "What do you have in mind?"

"I don't know. Just something...new."