☆Chapter Six☆

"It always will be you, wherever you are."

~*~

"Excuse me, what?" Luke asked, staring at me with now open eyes. After hearing those words, they were all wide awake, hanging on every word I said. "Drive to Brisbane?"

"I'm okay with missing school - but to drive to Brisbane?" Calum complained, wiping his tired face. He wrapped himself with his black robe, longing for its heat.

"Yeah, since I moved here, some...things have been going on back home." I tried to explain, without giving them a lot to work on. "What do you say?"

Silence.

"I can't believe that we actually agreed to do this." Calum whined, looking outside of Luke's Honda.

"Well it's for a friend, so shut up, and eat your cookie." Michael teased, handing Calum a napkin, and a chips o'hoy cookie.

I looked out of the window with intense thought, staring at all of the trees that were passing by us. My eyes were red and raw, and bags upon bags were lines up under my eyes. I looked and felt like crap.

The sky was still pretty dark, but was starting to clear up. The moon was full last night, and it was gently slipping away as time flew by. I was so deep in thought that I almost didn't hear when Luke said, "Everything alright, Ash?" Luke asked me as he steadily drove on the long rode. I cautiously nodded.

"Just dandy."

"Do you mind clarifying some things for us?" He asked another question.

I wiggled in my seat, sitting up straight. "Depends. What do you want to know?"

"Why did you move to Melbourne in the middle of the semester?" Michael had to ask. His hair was a fuzzy heap of light green, and his pale skin was complimenting it. His tired eyes were barely open as he spoke.

"Yeah," Calum added, "we know we haven't known you long, but we thought we should be able to know by now..."

"...Oh." I said.

I was looking like a shady guy with a past behind him that he was trying to keep secret. I was that guy who moves around, screwing up his life there, and runs to escape, and make a new life. That was me.

"Uh. At my old school," I said, deciding on wether or not I wanted to tell the truth to them. They were my new friends, and I wanted to build bridges, not walls. It could hurt them if I didn't tell them. But that little voice in the back of my head spoke for me, saying, "My mom was transferred here. She's a nurse, and they asked her if she wanted to do a higher position."

"Oh, what position?" Luke asked. "My dad's a brain surgeon. Maybe he'll know her or something."

May I please say one thing? It wasn't all a lie. There was a bit of truth there, but mostly, it was covered with specks of lies. "She's a...heart surgeon thing."

She actually was a heart surgeon, but she didn't get transferred here. She found a completely knew job here. Being transferred was my best excuse at the moment.

"Oh, and," Luke said, with long pauses in between his words. "Who are you going to meet when we get to Brisbane?" He asked impatiently. His face was red from frustration of not knowing, and I knew that if they knew, they wouldn't have said yes. But at that time, we were already a good portion on our way.

"I can't really keep like a secret for so long, I guess," I said, doing a mini hairflip. "We're going to Brisbane to go see my girlfriend, Ashleen."

"You couldn't Skype her or something?" Michael asked almost immediately. "Not to be rude or anything, but you couldn't just do that?"

"I did - but just as we were talking, something happened. There's something I don't know, and she won't tell me. I'll have to figure that out on my own."

"Please ignore how corny my words sound, Ash - We're your friends. We'll help you figure that out." Calum told me, resting a friendly hand on my shoulder. It made my heavy heart feel a little lighter, as if it would all be just fine.

Luke interrupted. "You're right, Calum," he said, weakly smiling. "That did sound corny."