☆Chapter Ten☆

"I know I don't know you, but I'd like to skip the small talk in romance. That's all I have to say, so baby, can we dance?" Can We Dance, The Vamps

~*~

After I apprehensively signed Five Seconds Of Summer up for the talent show, I decided to eat lunch outside. I took my bagged lunch, (complete with a banana, sandwich, carrots - I'm trying to be healthy here.) and made due with a lonely bench in the courtyard. But as I was walking over, I saw a familiar face.

"Hi, Ashton." A girl said to me. Only I remembered her, Callie. The brunette girl with tan skin, and brown eyes. She walked past me, not expecting me to say hello or anything.

"Oh, hey Callie." She stopped, and began walking with me. It felt good not to shut people out for a change. "We never had a...formal introduction last time. Sorry for that."

She smiled, saying, "It's alright."

We began nearing my destination, so I asked her, "Would you by any chance...want to sit with me during lunch? It's okay if you don't want t-"

"Of course!" She squealed. I nodded, feeling refreshed by such an energetic spirit.

We walked along in silence, and I looked around the long desolate hallway. But it wasn't so desolate when I saw Michael and Luke - talking with a few really buff guys.

"Hey!" I called to them.

The buff guys looked at me, with an ice cold glare. I shrugged it off, whispering, "I'll meet you in the courtyard." She nodded, and I watched her walk down the hallway.

I cautiously made my way to the group. Who were these guys? I had never seen them at this school before. Then again, I hadn't been there for that long.

"What do you think you're doing, signing up for that talent show? That's for girls. Not talentless emo freaks." One of them said. Another pushed Michael into the wall behind him, sending him crashing painfully into it.

Luke watched it, fearing that he might be next. What the hell should I do? Let them push them around, or fight them off? I can't take them, but I shouldn't stand by.

I wished nobody at my old school would just stand by and watch. But my wishes don't always come true.

Luke saw me in the corner of his eyes, with a look so strong, telling me to run. I shot back a glare that said, "I'm not going to leave." But he just kept shooting back the same look at me.

Who was I kidding? I couldn't escape my own tormentors. How was I supposed to help them escape theirs?

My guilt was eating me up by the time I reached Callie. My mind was elsewhere, instead of focusing on her.

"Something wrong?" She asked, halfway through her sandwich.

I couldn't tell her what was going on. She'd hate me, for God's sake. Think that I was a monster for not helping my friends. "No... I'm just really...nervous."

She smiled that bright smile again. But this time, it reminded me of Ashleen. "Aww, what are you nervous about?"

Quick. Come up with something quick.

"Uh, for one, I'm sitting here with the prettiest girl in school, and I have something to ask her..." I said, making up the words as I went. I didn't even know where I was going with it.

"And what's that?" She asked, looking into my eyes.

"Will you..."

How did those words go again? I haven't used them in a while.

"Go on a date with me?"