Chapter 5

'What is this? There is no one here bhaiya!' Lakshman blared out.

'No Lakshman use your eyes! There are weapons here, it looks like we have landed ourselves in one of Guruji's tests!' Ram said calmly as he walked towards the weapons kept on the table. 

He picked up a bow and touched it to his forehead. He strung the bow and turned to face Lakshman who had done the same.

There was a sudden movement near the bushes to the left of Ram.

Before they could acknowledge it, two forest men jump right in front of them.

Ram tensed.

He locked his eyes with the man in front him, about ten feet away from him.

He held an intense gaze for he knew that the eye moved before the body.

The man was tall and muscular, but he was slightly overgrown.

This meant he might be slow.

He had a bow and an arrow.

A single arrow just like Ram.

This was unusual! How did Guruji expect them to fight with an arrow?

He saw the man notch the arrow.

Ram knew he was running out of time....he had to use this arrow and win.

Guruji did not want a draw, he never did.

He searched the surrounding.

His eyes found his target.

He smiled slightly.
He had a plan.

The man pulled the string and the world blurred, Ram's eyes saw nothing but the tip of the man's arrow.

He had to time it perfectly or he might lose the battle.

The tip started to glow red as the man enchanted it.

It was a multiplying spell, he guessed with the intensity of the light that he might face three arrows.

He might look at three arrows but only one will be the real one, the other two were harmless. This only made it harder for Ram.

He played closest attention to the man.

And at the last moment, Ram saw his left foot flinch.

The arrow split into three as it made its way with a whoosh.

After exactly two second he let his arrow fly straight at the ground in beneath the man's feet.

Ram dived to his right.

One of the arrow hit him and turned to dust ,he smiled.

Ram's arrow hit the ground exactly in front of the man's right foot.

The floor caught fire that spread around the man in a perfect circle.

He could see the man smile.

'Well done! You are indeed an intelligent and brave warrior!'the man said.

Vasishta emerged from the bushes and clapped his hand.

The fire extinguished immediately.

Shathrugna came into a view a minute later, he was harmed.

Guruji had simply used him to lure them here.

All Three of them turned to Lakshman.

Lakshman and his opponent had their strings pulled.

Lakshman arrow glowed white, while his opponent's glowed green.

Ram smiled at his brother's choice.

He had chosen lightning.

His opponent had chosen earth.

Lakshman aimed the arrow it's the sky and let it fly as his opponent aim the floor.

There was a blinding light as lightning hit a branch right above the man's head.

Lakshman had jumped high and landed on a branch above him as the ground below exploded.

As the dust cleared. Ram saw the man trying to push the branch away, trapped below it.

Lakshman was sitting on the branch and laughing hysterically.

' Saw that bhaiya?' He called out.

' Good job, Lakshman!'replied Ram and turned to face Vasishta.

'Ram, you and your brothers are ready for the final test tomorrow! As soon as you pass it, you will be taken to Ayodhya! Your parents and the Royal family is eagerly awaiting your arrival!'said Vasishta.

'We are truly honored to have such revered guidance from you Guruji!' Said Ram with his hands folded in a namaste.

Vasishta smiled.

'You surely have a great future!' He said as he placed his hand in Ram's forehead.

Ram bent down and touched his feet.

'May you be victorious!' Beamed Vasishta.

Ram took his leave and headed towards the ashram next to a very proud Lakshman.

'You did great bhaiya!' He said.

'So did you Lakshman!' Ram said with a pleasing smile.

'And you! Took pleasure in tricking us didn't you?!' Lakshman said frivolously as he poked Shathrugna.

The both chuckled in unison.

'I knew Ram bhaiya would win but never did I dream of you winning bhaiya!' Said Shathrugna.

Lakshman gave a mock glare.

'I can't wait to see Bharat!! He must have been admitted in the infirmary!' They giggled violently.

'Actually yes! I tried save him too! But you see, even we had only one arrow each!' Shathrugna said.

Ram watched the birds fly as he imagined Bharat fighting.

It was odd...he had always been a better artist than a warrior.

But no one encouraged his real talent!

He was a great cartographer as well as a brilliant tracker!

He sighed as he saw Lakshman cry out of laughter.