Chapter 19

He glanced at himself on the mirror, the only thing that dared to stand in front of him, as his equal.

His crimson red with a golden border, angavasthra was draped around his waist. His lion-headed armor, made of pure gold, had a faint glow to it. He had to bend his knees slightly to have a look at his face in the mirror, tall he was. his face had a smooth finish to it, despite infinite battle scars adorning it. His angular jaw cut through his face such that his facial features stood out prominently.

He could feel the weight of his own gaze, pupils as dark the abandoned caves in Lanka.

He smiled. An inevitably charming one.

'My Lord, the Swayamvar has begun' his minister said.

Raavan's smile gradually turned into a smirk.

'Fools. Who do they think they are? The only one eligible to lay his hands upon Lord Shiva's sacred bow is me. Just me. Lankesh!' he said his eyebrows crowding.

'It is already an insult that the bow had to reside in such a small country as Mithila, now the King has decided to let insolent creatures to lay their hands upon it?' he said as he shook his head in clear disapproval.

He turned around swiftly.

'Minister, Don't you think it is time for the game to end?'

The minister smiled and bowed his head.

Raavan walked past his minister and out of the small chamber.

O sacred bow! Prepare to see your true master.

The hall was close to his chamber.

He could hear the frustrated cries of the kings and princes who had failed miserably.

He could hear the people laugh at their stupidity and groan at their defeat.

Raavan had expected this to happen.

The hall had grown eerily silent.He straightened his back as he stepped into the hall, his eyes hungrily lingering over the curve of the magnificent bow.

The sacred bow.

He could feel the presence of a powerful being in the hall, the power that could take him to great heights.

All the kings and princes had their eyes set on bim, their mouth agape.

Except one.

Raavan's blood boiled with fury but he was amused.

It was a boy!

A mere boy!

The boy looked at Raavan lazily.

Raavan could do nothing but laugh.

A booming sound that shook the hall.

'Welcome, Lankesh! The King of Lanka!' said Janak, rising from his throne.

'The Lord of the three realms!' he reminded.

'Indeed, Welcome to the swayamvar.' said Janak.

Raavan nodded curtly.

He walked to the center of the hall.

'Is there anyone who would like to try before me? Because it will be your only chance' he said, his hands resting on his hips.

No one breathed.

beat

'Alright then, prepare your chariots, time to go home kids.' he said as he rested on hand upon the grip of the bow while his other hand stayed in position.