Chapter 11

The sky was reflecting Ram's thoughts, both were clear.

This was what he loved about hunts and battles, they sharpened his mind and set it in a clear course.

The three of them rode past the dense forests in their horses.

Ram glanced at Vishwamithra.
The revered sage was leading them. His shoulders were always tensed, set to react to anything that went wrong.

Ram then turned back to see Lakshman, his beloved brother.
He was having a constant eye on the surrounding. Ram felt himself smile as he watched Lakshman's ears quirk up at the slightest noise.

Ram was excited.
This was the first time he was sent outside the palace to fight!
His father would never let him out of his sight, but Ram never blamed him.
The curse he received would certainly haunt any man!

He was actually shocked when his father agreed to let him assist sage Vishwamithra.
He supposed it was not in his father's hands.
He felt that there was something more to this expedition.

After a few minutes they arrived on the banks of the River Sarayu.

'Lakshman, you shall row us to the other side.' Said Vishwamithra, gesturing towards a boat tied to the bank.

The sage seemed to have made all arrangements for their journey.

Lakshman nodded and after five minutes he was rowing them to the other side.

'Before you both fight the demon, I shall narrate the story behind.' He said.

Both Ram and Lakshman nodded politely.

'A few days back, my ashram was brutally attacked by demons named Maricha and Subahu.
The two brothers along with their demon troops marched into my ashram and disrupted our yagnas.
I have asked many people to help, but all of them have failed so far, my last hope rests with you both.' He said.

'Don't worry O sage! There is nothing my brother can't kill!' Said Lakshman confidently.

'Lakshman...' Said Ram. It was nice to hear but interrupting the sage was not worth it.

Lakshman shut his mouth looking red.

Vishwamithra continued completely ignoring them.
'Maricha and Subahu, as I know, are mere pawns. They are controlled by their mother, a horrible cannibal, Thataka.'

Ram froze.
'A.. Woman?' Asked Ram completely horrified.

Vishwamithra made eye contact.
'A demoness. Not a woman.' He said.

'But Guruji.. ' Ram continued expressing his confusion.
How can he hunt a woman down?
Woman were respected greatly. They are the ones who are responsible for life! Killing one would be a sin!

Vishwamithra sensed his confusion.

'Ram.. A woman is the sole reason for life to continue on this earth. She is gentle yet powerful. Beautiful yet daring. Women can accomplish many things only by wishing to have them done.
They are respected and deserve it, but believe me Thataka is no woman.
A woman gives life. Yes, I agree Thataka gave birth to three kids, but what happened later... Stripped her off her womanhood.'
He continued.
'She has taken many lives by murdering brutally! She lost her status as a woman by soon so. Now she is a mere demoness, a cannibal and a sinner.' He said.

Ram took it in.
Yes, the sage was right.
Woman or no, a sin committed is committed and justice had to be done.

'Whatever happened to her?' Asked Lakshman after a long pause.

Vishwamithra smiled expectantly.

'Curious are you? Very well...
She was a Yaksha princess-turned-demoness.Her father Suketu, a yaksha king performed tapas for an offspring. Suketu had desired a son, but Lord Brahma blessed him with a strong and beautiful daughter. She was a beautiful princess that was wooed by and married Sumali, an Asura King. She had two sons Maricha and Subahu and a daughter, Kaikesi.' He said.

'Seems to be a peaceful life!' Said Lakahman.

Vishwamithra shook his head.
'Agastya cursed her to be a demoness after she and her son Subahu planned an attack him after the sage cursed her father and mother to death. She turned to a horrific cannibal and lost her beautiful figure! She now lives in the Thataka forest one the other side.' He said.

'Hmm..' Said Lakshman as he looked at the dense forest spread in front of them.

Ram looked at the river processing the information.

But something caught his eyes.

The fishes beyond a point seemed to be floating dead, the plants all dried up and am aura of death rested upon them.

Ram inhaled deeply.

Thataka was threatening all the life forces.

His target was set as they set foot on the banks.