Chapter 5 - The Missing Piece

20 years ago, a certain boy with salmon colored hair and a certain girl with brown eyes said goodbye to each other. Natsu, the boy, gave Lucy, the girl, a golden locket shaped in a heart with her name on it. "Keep this with you forever Lucy." He says as she climbs into a red car with a loose tire.

"I will Natsu." She says back. She shuts the door of the car and look out the backseat window. "Natsu when am I going to see you again?" She asks. "I'll be there anytime you need me." Natsu says back. The car starts moving and Natsu waves at Lucy while she smiles and waves back to him.

That's the last time Natsu saw her. Looking out the window, smiling, looking so happy. But then the moment turns into a nightmare. The tire on the car comes loose, and the car drives into a gas plant. BAM! Everything explodes. The remains of the car falls into a lake next to the place. The locket flew up to the top branch of a tree overlooking a certain park bench. And Lucy sinks down into the depths of the lake.

At least that's what people thought.

But that day Lucy Heartfelia survived. She swam to the edge of the lake and escaped in the nick of time. With baggy jeans to big for her and a adult-small t-shirt on. Her life was a miracle that the heavens had given to her. She may have been meant for a higher purpose.

Natsu stood there in shock. He was trembling. "Daddy, is Lucy gonna be okay?" He asks. Igneel looks down at his son. "I'm afraid Lucy's in a better place now Natsu." A tears falls. Then feet hit the concrete in-front of Natsu. "Lucy!!" Natsu runs as fast as he can towards the explosion while bawling.

"Lucy! Please come back!!!" Natsu screams. His dad runs after him and eventually stops him. "LUCY!!!" Natsu tries to break free of his fathers grip. Fire reflects in his dark eyes.

Natsu and Lucy had been best friends forever. They'd do everything together. Until Natsu realized she was gone. Lucy only lived on in his heart. Or at least he thought she did. Just then she was standing on the other side of the lake. Looking at her best friend. "Natsu..." She whispers.

She remembers the conversation they had earlier. "I'll be there when you need me." Natsu had said. "As will I." She says now. A tear rolls down her cheek. "I'll find you again Natsu Dragneel."

That was why he had stopped her from dying, and why Natsu remembered her from the park bench everyday. That was why the locket had fallen from the tree when it did. And why Lucy and Natsu realized the piece of information that both of them had forgotten. Both of them were best friends. Forever.