Part 24

"Maya look, the balls you got from Mr. Mertle are still here in this bucket." Benny said grabbing a baseball and a glove.

"Yea that's because I still use them. Unlike you." Maya said catching his pitch in her glove.

"Really?" Benny said surprised because he was so used to using the high school field now.

"Yep!" Maya said throwing him a fast ball.

"You never change." He said and smiled at her.

"I wish the rest of the crew was here." Maya spoke about the quietness.

"Well not everyone can skip school! Jeesh. Anyway, you are only saying that because you don't spend everyday with them anymore." He joked but he knew he loved them anyway.

"Oh okay." Maya rolled her eyes.

"Come on let me hit. I haven't hit a decent pitcher since I played with you guys." Maya said jogging over to home plate. 

"Okay but DeNunez is the real pitcher, stop trying to flatter me." Benny winked. And Maya rolled her eyes.

"Dork."

"Potato."

"Avacado eyed pork chop."

"You play like a girl." Benny said and smiled mischievously.

"Yea, and watch me. Pop the pitch; this one is going over the fence." Maya said eyeing his windup and her bat came in contact with the ball with a WHACK and they both watched it soar and hit the fence.

"Nice one!" Benny smiled.

"Thanks!" Maya said proudly and stuck around the sandlot for a few more hours until it was time for Benny to head back home.

"How long are you grounded for?" Maya said from the drivers seat of her car.

"I don't remember. It's going to feel like forever. But it should be fine. See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow in school." Maya said as he hopped out of her car and Maya began to drive off towards her home.

She ate dinner as usual and pretended to do homework in her room until she decided she wanted to go to sleep.

When she woke up the next morning Benny wasn't at the front doors. She was a little upset but she figured he must still be walking.

So Maya went inside and went to find the sandlot boys. She new they would be somewhere near the locker room. But then she forgot her text book was in her locker that she needed so she headed back to the west wing.

"Wyatt! Hey! Do you remember my locker combination? I'm drawing a blank and need to get it open." Maya said noticing Wyatt was standing at his locker right next to hers. He looked at her unamused briefly then went back to shuffling books in his locker.

"Hello? Wyatt I really need your help." Maya said confused as to why Wyatt is acting so distant.

"Are you mad at me?" She concluded.

"Of course I'm mad. For as long as you have known me I never missed a day of school. I came here when I had the flu for two straight weeks. Just so you wouldn't sit at lunch by the trashcans at a table full of freshman by yourself. So I could hold your hand so you wouldn't have to get swept away in the sea of people during switch. You wouldn't be alone." Wyatt said looking at Maya disappointed.

"Oh-" Maya began but was cut off.

"Save it. The worst part is the whole school knows you weren't even sick yesterday. You chose to leave me alone. And recently you have been choosing to leave me alone even when you are  here. " Wyatt said angrily.

"You were my Best Friend. But if you thought I was disposable I wish you would have told me that from the start." He said upset and shook his head feeling like he lost the fight with her and there was no chance they could fix this and began to walk away. Out of all people the one person he never wanted to be disappointed in was her. And she made him feel that way the most.

"I had no idea. Wyatt I'm sorry." Maya said pleading for him to stay so she could apologize more.

"You're not disposable, you were my best friend too! I promise! You were always there for me." Maya said trying to get forgiveness.

"Of course I was always there for you. You were the only friend I had, you just don't understand where I am coming from. You have a totally different life than I imagined. I bet I still don't even know the half of it." He sighed.

Maya felt guilty because he was right.

"So I guess this is goodbye?" Maya said looking at her feet feeling horrible. She really had a close relationship with him. They were each other's rocks and support. I guess Maya just didn't need his support anymore. Maya never meant to treat him like this but there is no more going back.

"I guess this is it. Goodbye, Maya." He said and ran his fingers through his hair before awkwardly walking away leaving Maya wishing she at least got a hug.

Maybe they could have worked it out. Maybe it was just a small problem. It wasn't that much time people don't grow apart that fast.

Maya racked her brain endlessly as any person would after losing their best friend.

"We are going to Chubby's quick during lunch you want to come? Benny will be there." Smalls said to Maya snapping her out of her own head.

"Yea, sure." Maya said uneasily wanting to just crawl into bed.

Even though everyone saw her as strong and ruthless hurting people was never her intention. She wouldn't ever walk by a broken soul without lending a hand leading towards repair. So when these things happen it crushes everything about her.

She feels it gets worse as she gets older and she can't handle  normal social problems like this because it gets to her. Even after you say goodbye.

Sorry this took so long! Don't hate me lol I am just a potato anddddd yea I hope I'm not boring youuu hahahahha