Private Things

--= Jerome's + POV =--

He kept me close and all the warmth I was missing instantly trickled into me and seeped into my heart. Closing my eyes in pure joy, I let out a long sigh, knowing that Preston was having the same reaction.

Pulling away from the hug or, cuddle on the floor of the entrance way I watched him as he blinked blankly at me with a warm smile on his face as he gazed at me unreadably back.

"Want to go sit down in the Living Room?" I questioned. The question slipping out of my lips without any approval from my mind, his face seemed to fall as he pulled himself out from under me.

"Actually, I have more private things to discuss with you." Preston replied. His gaze no longer on me, chills raked my spine as the heat ripped away from my soul leaving me in the darkness again.

I love Mitch with all of my heart and I feel a connection with him, but I understand Preston more and he understands me. I have a deeper connection with Preston than I do with anybody else.

 Don't get me wrong I would never do anything with him, but it's the type of friendship where we could cuddle on the couch and it would be completely okay between the both of us.

Maybe it was because he's the first human I've met or that he's a pyro? I have no clue. All I know is that there's something about him that makes me feel safe and if he said something like a major secret, I would be okay with it.

Tuning back to reality as my eyes shifted over to Preston, I nodded and got up off of him, notioning with my head where a room where nobody could hear us was. I know he won't do anything to upset Mitch.

"Well, alright then."

+++++++++++

He sat on the bed with fear flickering inside of his eyes and worry pounding harshly on his heartbeat, causing it to skip a beat or two in the meanwhile of it all. I don't know what's wrong with him. 

Maybe he's sick? Reaching a hand out towards Preston, he smacked my hand away and slammed his hand back onto his face, a few tears steaming down his face from the heat of them.

 The noise of hissing and burning sizzled around the room, what made me sick was it was the tears that were burning off some of his skin. I don't know what's wrong with him. He's scaring me, maybe Mitch was right, he isn't himself at all. 

"Preston? What did you want to talk about?" He remained silent, maybe he didn't even know what was wrong and was just mumbling to himself silently. It could happen. It does to me.

Sniffles raking his body, he muttered out an okay and extended his arms, moving them back and forth before sitting up from the bed and looming down above me, staring me down to see any fear or worry only to find plentiful. It made him feel guilty. I know that expression too well on him.

"I saw Vikk." He peeked up searching for anything, relief, worry, anger, despair, but I certainly did give him one other thing he didn't really seem to like, especially not from me anyways.

"You did?! Is he okay?" I squeaked out. Preston forcing to nod, his head shifted to the direction of the window where he gazed at the now darkened sky that swept before us.

"As fine as somebody could ever be, but.....I found out who killed Rob." Preston forced a smile as a shadow of a breath slipped from his mouth, only to falter into a frown that trembled non stable.

"....Who was it?" This seemed to tip Preston over the edge after that, because he pursed his lips and scrunched his eyes shut, breathing heavily through his nose and not daring to press his lips apart.

"............."

"Preston." I tried. Out stretching a hand towards him, he didn't react a single bit. Didn't swipe my hand away, didn't laugh and fake trying to push me off because he actually wanted affection.

He just sort of, sat there. Crumpled and broken, not saying anything to me even after I called his name. It was almost as if I wasn't even there at all and I just disappeared mid conversation.

"................."

"Preston?" I asked. Taking a step forward and finally placing it on Preston's shoulder. I felt my hand heat up just by touching him. I'm not talking about his looks when I say he was hotter than usual.

"................"

"Come on Biggums it's okay, look at me." Guilt and pity wrapping tightly around my heart, I took a deep breath and kneeled down only to see Preston's eyes a bright red. They were basically glowing.

My stomach churning at the sight of those hell made eyes. He slowly lifted his head up and stared at me, a small smile slowly carving it's way into his face. That look is going to haunt me forever.

Goosebumps crawling all across my skin as the warmth snapped into something more malicious, fire, I backed away into the cold to watch him unfold before my very eyes, his laugh low as he hung his head only to snap it into my direction.

"Vikk murdered the love of my life."