From Chill to Burn

I awake, eyes slowly opening. At first all i see is bright light, then once my eyes adjust i notice im in some sort of hospital. All white sheets are draped over me, covering my body. The fabric is itchy under my soar, aching figure. I raise my hand to rub my eyes... OW! I peer at my hand, its wrapped in a thin white cloth that is stained with a red blood mark. Shit. I forgot about that.

"Your awake." I turn my head slowly to the sound of the voice, a man is hidden in the shadows. "You had me worried there." He approaches. Cain.

I slowly sit up, Cain pushing his hand to my lower back to help me. "I'm ok really... I'm fine." I swing my legs over the side and place my bare feet to the cold tile floor. Shivers run through me, making my knees buckle. I begin falling.

"Woah not so fast princess!" Cain catches me swiftly around the waste, sending another wave of shivers through me. He sits on the white sheeted bed, placing me protectively in his lap. I feel my skin go numb from the cold under his touch. "Princess your so... Cold."

My vision begins blurring, I don't want to black out again. I wiggly my hands to Cain's chest and push myself away from him, collapsing to the floor with a thud. The instant his skin is away from mine I feel small amounts of heat slowly being absorbed. I sigh in relief of the cold.

I peer back up at Cain, he is watching me intensely. I take a deep breath, "Sorry." He shakes his head.

"No it's ok. Get dressed and I'll meet you outside." With that he stands, and exits the room. I stand up, still watching the door... Why do I feel this way when I'm close to him?

I take a deep breath and run my hand through my knotty hair. I grab the side of the bed and slowly pull myself up. I take the pile of clothes and get changed. The clean clothes feel nice compared to the dirty sweaty ones from before. I step out of the door and look down both ways. Cain is leaning against the far wall. He has on a black leather jacket and dark ripped jeans. He looks up at me.

"Hey kid." I smile as I approach him.

"Hi" He straightens himself against the wall, now standing a head taller the me. His hand glides across my cheek, I wince under his touch. Instead of the familiar chill, now it burns as if he is pouring boiling water on me. His hand leaves my face once he sees the pain in my eyes. "I'm sorry. I ... I don't mean it."

He chuckles. "Oh princess I know you don't. I know what I must do for us to be together." Together???

"Oh um... What is it that you must do?" I peer up, questioning him.

"I will destroy your mate once and for all." Cain turns the corner and I hesitate then follow behind him. The question keeps flying through my head... Who is this mate?