Heart's Games|Chapter 41: Everything Has Changed

Chapter 41: Everything Has Changed

"Give me your uncle's phone number," Tanner quickly said.

Although I wanted to argue about calling him my uncle, I ignored it and blurted out his phone number as quick as I could. Tanner quickly dialed it and took my phone from my hands.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Turning off the location and the phone. Telling your uncle what is going on," Tanner said as he shut down my phone and took out the SIM card.

"Wait! Don't tell him about what we're talking about!" I quickly exclaimed, standing up from the couch.

"Then how do you plan explaining to him all of th-?"

"Hello," Seth's voice was heard from the phone. 

I didn't hesitate to take it from Tanner's hand.

"Hey. Seth...Umm, my phone's battery died so I am going to be using Tanner's," I quickly blurted out.

Tanner gave me that typical confused glare and Dr. Houston sighed in disappointment.

"Katherine...your phone was almost fully charged when you left," he said.

"Well, yeah, I am guessing we're going to have to check the battery later. Seems like it needs to be fixed or changed," I said, trying to sound as cool as possible.

"Kate, if there is anything going on, you need to tell me right now."

"I'm fine. I'll text you in ten minutes. Bye."

I quickly hung-up and returned the phone to Tanner.

"What the hell, Katherine?" he exclaimed.

"You're fine, but I ain't, short stack," Dr. Houston said.

"No, I know. We'll figure this out and-"

"You need to get your entire family out of here, Charlie," Tanner quickly said. "Or is it just you and Mia?"

"Just me and my lady," Dr. Houston said. "But I can't just run off!"

"Yes, you can. These guys are tracking down Katherine and they already know we were here," he explained, his blue eyes too focused on this matter to look back at me. "I'll take you to one of your daughters' house. Just please...It's the safest thing to do," Tanner pleaded.

I stared at him, noticing just how perfectly he reacted in situations like these. He was clever and thoughtful and he always had a plan. Like a Sherlock Holmes...He was perfect for Graciela.

Dr. Houston seemed to give it some thought as he looked around the room. "For how long, kid?"

"If you give us a name..." I began "...I promise this won't last for long."

"What could you do? I think you've done enough," Dr. Houston said.

"I will put a stop to this," I said through clenched teeth. "I have gotten this far and I am not backing out. All you have to do is give us a name."

Standing up always works. I need you all to remember that. Because that is how he finally walked towards the book shelf and pulled out a folder.

"Here," he said, walking over to me. "Here you have his school yearbook picture and his basic information. You wanted the name, that's literally the most important thing there. Oh...and the article that started Freddie Heart."

I was about to take it, but Dr. Houston put his big chubby hands over my fragile ones. I looked up at him, to find him looking down at the file that was still in his hands.