Chapter 21

Tris' POV:

I trusted him so much. It breaks my heart to know he did that. He breaks my heart, but at the same time, he makes me whole. I need to leave, but I just can't bring myself to. I love him.

I look at the ring on my finger. So many memories rush into my mind again. The last time we split up was miserable, and I don't want it to happen again.

Maybe she forced him to let her do it? Maybe there wasn't anything between them until now. Maybe he really didn't mean it.

But how can you just go on and do that to someone? I just don't understand what's happening right now.

Natalie has Kyle right now, and I'm supposed to be getting him. I decide to call her, since Tobias and I need to talk things out.

"Helloooo?" she answers the phone, cheerfully.

"Hey, can you keep Kyle for a little while longer? Tobias and I are talking about some stuff right now, and I'd really appreciate it," I say, holding back my tears.

"Yes, of course. Is everything fine?" she asks, sounding a bit worried.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I'll explain it later," I reply.

"Alright, just call me if you need me, and I'll keep Kyle for as long as you need me to," she says.

"Thank you. I love you, bye," I say, as I hang up the phone.

I walk out of our bedroom, walking towards the kitchen in this huge house. I grab a bottle of water out of the fridge and sit down on a bar stool. I take deep breaths, trying to process what's happening.

I need to go find Tobias and let him explain to me what happened. No reason is going to be an excuse though. I'm probably going to need some time to myself.

I get up from the stool and walk into the living room. I see him setting some pillows at one end of the couch. He also lays a blanket down on the couch where I'm assuming he's going to sleep.

"You know there are other rooms with beds, right?" I speak up.

He stops what he's doing and looks at me. All he does is stare at me. He looks speechless, and he is.

"Tris-"

"Don't apologize again, please," I cut his apology off.

"Uh, c-can we talk?" he asks, scratching his arm.

"Yeah, that's why I came to find you," I say.

I walk towards him and sit on the couch. He sits beside me and stares at me.

"You know I love you, right?" he says.

I look up from the ground to see him. "If you love me so much, then why did you do this? I-I just don't understand, Tobias," I sigh, "I've given you so many chances, and the whole time I thought I didn't deserve you. It just doesn't make any sense in my mind as to why you would let that happen. You just proposed to me for Christ's sake."

"I know, and you're right about not deserving me. You deserve so much better than me. You seriously mean the world to me, and I'm such a d*ck for screwing things up. I always do, and it hurts you so badly every single time. I don't feel like I help you at all. I try to be there for you, but then I do stupid things like this. I don't think you understand how much I hate myself, Tris. I keep on doing this to you, and I just don't understand anything either. Why are you still with me?" he says.

"I have no clue why I'm with you!" I exclaim with tears streaming down my face, "I just can never bring myself to leave you. It'll hurt me a lot worse than you already do."