Chapter 24

Tobias' POV:

It'd probably be smart to go and try talking to Tris, but I'd rather not. I think I'm just going to go drink to take my mind off of things. I decide to call Uriah, so I don't go alone.

As I'm about to exit our home, I hear a soft voice saying my name. I turn around, knowing I won't like how sad she looks.

"Where are you going?" Tris asks in a pitiful tone.

"I was just going to grab a couple of beers with Uriah. If you want to talk then I can totally stay," I reply.

"No, it's fine. Please just don't get drunk, and Luke's coming over so don't freak out, okay?" she says.

"Luke?" I question.

"My cousin?" she says more like a question rather than a statement.

"Oh yeah," I realize, "I forgot."

She nods her head with a sad expression still on her face. She looks to the ground and sighs, "You go have fun."

"I'm not leaving you," I say, hesitantly. I walk up to her, and I lift her chin up so her eyes meet mine.

"God, you're so beautiful," I say, closely observing her facial features. I wrap my arms around her waist and lean in for a kiss.

It's a very slow, soft kiss, and I take in every moment of it. Before making it any more intimate I stop and ask, "Do you wanna take this to our room?"

Her facial expression changes from peaceful to confusion. She pulls out of my grasp and says, "You have got to be kidding me."

"I-"

"No, Tobias. Just go get hung over with Uriah. I am so done with everything," she says, her voice cracking in the middle of it.

I can tell by the look on her face that she's about to cry. "W-what do you mean?" I stutter.

"Just leave. Please, I need time with Luke. We can talk about this later," she says, holding back her tears for even longer.

"Tris, no. We're talking about it now. It's just going to be harder to talk about it later," I say, refusing to leave.

"I'm here!" I hear a familiar voice exclaim from behind me.

We both turn and look at Luke. "Oh.. Uh, bad time?" he questions.

"Ye-" Tris cuts me off, "No, perfect timing actually! Tobias was just leaving," she says, walking up to Luke and hugging him.

He hugs her back but looks at me. I can see that he feels guilty by the way he's looking at me. I break our eye contact and walk to Kyle's room. He stirs in his bed, beginning to wake up.

He stretches his small body and soon begins to cry. I pick him up out of his crib and hold him in my arms, trying to calm him. I feel like he is the only good thing left of Tris and me.

"It's okay buddy. I'm here," I bounce him up and down. His crying begins to quiet down as I walk around the room. "You want to go see Uri?" I ask.

"Yes," his voice is small.

I exit his room and walk down the stairs. I grab the keys to my Jeep and before I walk out the door, I decide to go apologize to Tris.

I sit Kyle on the couch and say, "Sit here bud, I'll be back in a second."

I walk into the kitchen and see Tris talking to Luke. She makes eye contact with me as I enter the room. She immediately looks away and continues talking to him.