Chapter 26

Two weeks later...

Tobias' POV:

Day one back at football. I am so ready for this season. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Tris here to support me, but I know that she's my girl. The past two years have sucked, because I was so lost without her.

We've started workouts a couple of months ago, but it was only one or two days a week. Now it's Monday through Friday, and sadly Tris won't be back for my first game. Apparently, she's staying an extra month and a half on tour. She said something about not having many opportunities to go on a tour like the one she's on. Whatever.

It's been two weeks, and when she told me that they're staying longer it broke my heart. Like are you kidding? I already got through half the time you were supposed to stay for.

I love football so much, because when I'm in the game, my mind completely escapes. Not many people have things that lets their mind slip away for a brief period of time. You know how people have happy places like the beach or the mountains? Well, you could say that my happy place is the field. Okay, enough of that. I sound so soft when I say that.

It's 5:00am, and workouts start at 5:30. I need to go now, because I have to run laps if I'm late. Especially on the first official day back. That'll just make me look dumb.

I soon arrive at conditioning and check the time to see that it's 5:31. D*mnit. Coach is gonna make me run. That's just how he is.

I walk onto the practice field, seeing all of my team mates facing Fox. I see coach standing in front of all of them. He has an irritated expression across his face.

"Laps, Eaton," he says as I approach them.

"It was one minute?" I remark.

"I'm aware of that, and now you're running twice as much for the back talk," Coach Fox replies.

I sigh, taking off to the track. This sucks man. I really didn't want to do laps today. It could be worse though.

After half an hour of running, I finally get to stop. My phone starts to ring, so I pull it out, seeing that Tris is calling.

"Hey baby," I answer.

"Hey. What are you doing?" she asks.

"I'm at football. If coach catches me on the phone, then he'll kill me. He's already mad because I got here a minute late. Literally one minute," I say.

"Dang. Well, just call me back when you finish, alright?" she says.

"Okay-"

"Eaton, you have got to he kidding me,"
I hear coach from behind me.

"Babe, I gotta go. Be safe," I say, hanging up.

I turn around, prepared to be yelled the h*ll out of. "I'm sorry coach. My girl called, and I just wanted to make sure she was okay. I-"

He cuts me off, "Did I ask for an explanation? You can run another fifteen minutes, and you still have today's workouts when you finish that. This is the first day back Eaton, and you've already irritated me. Since when has your personal life gotten in the way of the game? This act better change fast."

"Yes sir," I reply, going back onto the track.

I roll my eyes, sighing. He's in such a bad mood today. Usually he isn't this crazy about stuff. Okay, this really sucks. Another fifteen minutes of straight up running and daily workouts. Our workouts are harsh too, but it isn't that terrible. It's not gonna kill me.