Chapter 14: Investigation

Flamestrike was patrolling along the RiverClan and ThunderClan border when he saw Appletail arguing with Blackclaw. "Woah, woah, what's going on?" Flamestrike asked, walking up to the two. Blackclaw turned to Flamestrike. "One of our clanmates died, and Icepaw killed her!!" She wailed. "I told you already, Icepaw and I only picked up the body to help figure out who killed her!" Appletail responded. Flamestrike narrowed his eyes at Blackclaw. "Was Appletail's scent on the body?" Flamestrike asked. "Nope, only Icepaw's." Blackclaw answered. "And yours." Appletail said. "Well, of course. I found the body." Blackclaw said.

"How dare you accuse me!?" Icepaw suddenly ran up. "YOU killed her!" She shouts. "What!? No!" Blackclaw hissed. "Then explain the tuft of black fur I found!!" Icepaw hissed. "I was near the body when I found it! I was crying over Dustclaw's death!" Blackclaw responded. "You know what?" Flamestrike intervened. "Where's the body? I'll sniff it and see which scent is the strongest out of you two." He suggested. Blackclaw's eyes narrowed. "Sounds good to me." She said.

The trio went over to where the body lay. Flamestrike walks over and sniffs it. "Hmm... all the scents mix together, so I can't really tell. There's some Appletail, some Icepaw, and some Blackclaw, but none really prevail." Flamestrike concludes. "Let me see." Icepaw sniffs. "There's more Blackclaw then anything." She lied. Flamestrike caught her lie. "Really? There seemed to be LESS Blackclaw than the others." He narrowed his eyes. "Oh... well... I still think she did it." Icepaw said.

"Well... we can't use that as a le-wait, Appletail, Icepaw, YOU STOLE THE BODY!?!" Flamestrike said as what Appletail said earlier hit him. "I just wanted to help see what happened!" Appletail defended herself. "I'm gonna go before I get yelled at for the whole 'body' thing..." Icepaw runs off. "Ok.... strange." Flamestrike observed. "Well, I think we should tell Pebblestar and Snakestar what's going on here. Hopefully they'll understand and maybe even help us out." He purred. "I'd rather keep this to be just between us." Appletail said. "Well, only the leaders will know. So we don't get in trouble." Flamestrike said. "Pebblestar, maybe, but Snakestar? He's gonna flip out!" Blackclaw said.

"Okay then, just Pebblestar." He said. "Let's all tell her. I tried to tell her StarClan visited me once, and she didn't believe me, which was honestly expected. But if three of us tell the story, it'll be more believable." Flamestrike finished. Podzol walked up to the group as Flamestrike was finishing his statement. "Hey, guys!" He purred. "What's going on?" "Well, a ThunderClan cat was murdered and we're trying to figure out who. In order to do so, Appletail and Icepaw stole her body. I was saying we should tell Pebblestar-" Flamestrike was interrupted by Appletail. "Wait, you mentioned being visited by StarClan."

"Oh yeah! WAIT! Maybe I could get in touch with them again and see if they know the answer. Maybe go to the Moongarden?" Flamestrike suggested. "Sounds good to me. When?" Blackclaw asked. "Um... tomorrow morning?" Podzol suggested. "Sounds good." Flamestrike said, Blackclaw and Appletail nodding in agreement. "Then it's settled. Tomorrow morning we meet here and head to the Moongarden. See you all then." Flamestrike said before leaving with Appletail. The group went their separate ways for the night.