Chapter 28: Mates Again

Flamestrike arrived at a small tree, with Cinderfeather crying underneath the tree. He scented the air. Just us. Good. He walked over to Cinderfeather. "Cinder, what's wrong? Don't worry about the others showing up this time, I took care of that. So, what's wrong?" He asked, wishing he could nuzzle her. She sighed. "I really don't want to talk about it." "Well, you know you can tell me anything." Flamestrike said. "I know... I just don't feel like talking right now." Cinderfeather sighed. "Well... tell me when I guess, then." He said, moving to get up.

"Actually, on second thought, it might do me some good to get this off my chest." Flamestrike stopped, then laid down beside her at her words. "Well, what is it?" He asked, concern flashing in his eyes. "It's just... all this Dark Forest stuff has gotten to me. The Journey, the whole corruption thing, hell, even the rouge invasions... I don't know how much more I can take." She said. "Well, that's all over now. Blackclaw's on her way to recovery, obviously I'm back from the Journey, I haven't seen a rouge in moons..." He said. She sighed. "I know, but it's been one thing after another." "Cinder, you know I'm working on fixing that as best I can. I'm just as tired as you are by it."

After a while of silence, Cinderfeather sighed. "I miss when we were mates..." "W-well... w-we could... f-fix that. Like, give it another shot." Flamestrike said, looking nervous. Cinderfeather blinked. "You still trust me after what happened?" "Cinder, YOU broke us up. Once I found out what really happened, I apologized for trying to break up with you." Flamestrike said. "But... how can you forgive me after I hurt you like that?" Cinderfeather asked. "Cinder, the only times you hurt me are when I have to see you hurt, like right now." He paused, and no response came. "I've always loved you, and I always will. I've always TRUSTED you, and I always will. The only thing keeping us from being together again is you not being able to trust yourself." Flamestrike said. "You... really mean it?" Cinderfeather asked. "I've never lied to you before, have I?" Flamestrike asked.

Cinderfeather answered by tackling Flamestrike and grooming his head. "I love you. Thank you." She purred. Flamestrike laughed. "No need to thank me. I love you too." 

An hour had passed since their session in the woods. The pair were now near the pond in camp, and Cinderfeather was rolling around like a kit. "You're acting like a kit." Flamestrike purred. "Was it really that good for you?" Cinderfeather shot up, blushing like crazy. "Oh, um... I-I s-said t-that o-out l-l-loud, d-didn't I?" Flamestrike looked away, blushing wildly.

Cinderfeather simply nodded. "Erm... whoops." Flamestrike nervously chuckled. Podzol ran over. "Sorry to interrupt you two lovebirds, but we have a situation at the moat!" "Damn..." Flamestrike sighed. "I feel too... happy to properly fight." She purred, looking at Flamestrike. "Was that what you were doing in the woods?" Podzol asked, getting the message Cinderfeather sent. "Now isn't the time, Podzol. Let's go." Flamestrike said, him and Podzol running to the moat.