Chapter 23: Foxpaw

Flamestrike lays down to the pool next to Cinderfeather, a moon after the incident with Pond. "Hey." He purred. "Hey." She responded as she Foxpaw, their youngest son, relaxing on the shore. Flamestrike sees Foxpaw and gets up. "Hey, Foxpaw!" He called. Foxpaw looked over and saw Flamestrike before growling. "Go die in a hole, bitch!" He said, running off.

Flamestrike was shocked by the reaction. "Um... what was that about?" Flamestrike asked, laying down. "Foxpaw wants Shattered and I back together, and he feels like you are in the way of that happening." Cinderfeather explained. "Even though Shattered and I were only together for-" "I know, less than an hour. You told me that whole thing when we were still mates." Flamestrike interrupted. "Yeah..." Cinderfeather looked away. Flamestrike sighs. "I'll try to talk to him when he has calmed down."

Flamestrike sees Gravelpaw and gets up. "Hey Gravel!" He walked over to her. "Hi Flame!" She said. "How's Blackclaw? I haven't seen her since Skyfur." She said. "Well... I'm getting a bit worried about her... before you came here, we had an incident with a cat named Pond, and Blackclaw jumped on her and threatened to kill her. At the time, I figured that it was a bluff, but the more I think about it..." Flamestrike trails off. "You think the Dark Forest corrupted her?" Gravelpaw asked.

"Maybe, I don't know." Flamestrike responded as Blackclaw showed up. "What are you two talking about?" She asked. "Oh, uh, nothing!" Gravelpaw lied. Blackclaw saw through the lie and her eyes narrowed. "Flamestrike, what are you telling my daughter?" She asked, suspicious. He sighed. "I'm getting worried about how aggressive you've become lately." "Aggressive?" Blackclaw said, surprised. "Yeah, like with Pond? At the time I thought you were bluffing, but now I'm not so sure..." Blackclaw blinked. "If you think I'm getting corrupted, I'm not." "Then why have you been visiting us less and less?" Flamestrike asked.

"I swear, I wish I had a choice! Actually, if I did, I wouldn't go back at all!" Blackclaw said. "And you can't do that now, why?" Flamestrike asked. "Because my den is there and I would be killed if I made a den down here." Blackclaw explained. Flamestrike raised an eyebrow. "What are you doing in your den to be there so much?" "It's less an issue about the den and more I've been called up more and more." She explained. "Ah." Flamestrike said.

"Either way, I need to go back before they kill me for sneaking out of the meeting." Blackclaw said. "Um... ok..." Flamestrike responded, and Blackclaw dissapeared. Strange....