[ Prologue ]

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

Something Real

Dearly beloved, I've gathered you here today to tell a story. A story that should have never been written to completion. One that with every twist and turn, just got more and more interesting; and I've lived to tell the tale.

When Elias Pennington proposed to my mother seven months ago, I could have never foreseen what was going to go wrong. Upon meeting his two son's however, I definitely should have known.

Both Jay and Hayden Pennington are natural disasters on their own. But Hayden himself has a way of getting under my skin like no one else has ever done before. Being an only child, I wasn't as up on the bylaws of being a sibling. Luckily for me, Hayden was ready to give me a crash course on the matter.

Hayden is something else, but he's been able to show me an entirely new side to life, one that I never knew existed. He see's the world from a different perspective, and that's about the only think I can appreciate him for.

I could have never seen what would come of these last seven months. Even going back over things now, I still can't pinpoint exactly where I should have stopped myself. Where I should have forced my emotions back below the surface, and never dealt with them again.

My entire life, I had wanted to feel true love. But now that it's happening to me, it feels tough, sticky sweet, and utterly wrong in the best kind of way. The hardest part about it, is knowing it can never last.

Nonetheless, here we are today at my mother's wedding, and we have a lot of explaining to do.