[ 13 ] Exchanging Pleasantries

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #367 in Chick Lit

I'll try to get a sneak peek up on the site as soon as possible! If you guys could continue to vote and comment, that would be great!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

Something Real

[ Chapter 13 ] Exchanging Pleasantries

....................................................................

Hayden Pennington was an ass if nothing else, and after the last week of rude glances and snide comments, I was positively sure of this.

"It's the best yacht I've ever been on," my mother droned on. She hadn't stopped talking about the Jensen's yacht all week.

"You'd never been on a yacht before last weekend," I reminded, watching as she stepped out of the car.

"Well I have now!" She retorted, giving me one of her infamous looks. I knew it was my time to keep quiet.

I shook my head, hanging back as Jay lunged out of the car after my mother and Elias, leaving Hayden and I alone for the first time all week.

After Hayden's little blow up at the wedding boutique, he'd completely iced me out. I hadn't gotten more than a snide comment from him, and we'd had quite a few family dinners since our outing. He'd had more than enough time to have a real conversation with me about what exactly was bothering him.

None of what happened last weekend helped me to figure out what I had done to upset him so badly.

"You going to get out, or should I?" Hayden asked.

I shrugged my shoulders before pushing myself up from out of my seat. Apparently, despite the weekly family brunch today, Hayden's attitude wasn't getting any better.

I swerved around the seats to get out of the car, and once I had, I made sure to keep far ahead of him. If Hayden was going to act this way, then I sure as hell wasn't taking it any longer.

I had almost forgotten that Zane was the manager of this hotel, because when I saw him laughing with Elias and my mother, I was more than surprised. He smiled at the sight of me, waving me over as he did.

"Hey," he greeted. "I was hoping you'd be here."

"Yeah," I sighed, feeling a sudden presence at my side. I looked over my shoulder to see Hayden standing his ground firmly beside me, looking as if he wasn't planning on moving an inch from me.

"Your parents said I could join you," Zane relayed. "I've got a few friends in town, too. They'll be here any minute. They're good business partners with Elias."

"Then I think Scarlett and I will skip out on this one," Hayden interrupted, taking my right hand as he did. "She wouldn't want to associate with your people."

"Looks like she already has," Zane said. "Nice to see you, Hayden."

Hayden let a smirk play out on his face, "can't say the feeling is mutual."

"Sit down already, Hayden," Elias groaned, pulling out the seat next to him. "We've got things to discuss."

Hayden rolled his eyes, not releasing my hand for even a second. He pulled me over, making sure I was sitting right next to him.