Chapter Twenty-Eight

I rest on the sink. My arms almost give out but I don't even care anymore. I slide down so by bare legs rest on the cool tile floor. I hear a small knock on the door and shake my head. I just can't do this. I have been in here for over an hour just crying. I honestly thought Niall left.

"Please, Kate, open the door," His voice cracks and my heart breaks. I just wish that none of this would have happened. 

I let out a shaky breath and stand up. I open the door slowly as warm air hits me. I was beginning to think I was going to freeze in this cool bathroom. I walk straight to Niall as his eyes are lined red and watery. I walk up to him and wrap my arms around his waist. He seems surprised before rapping his arms around me and resting his head on the top of mine. I keep mine on his chest and listen to the way his heart beats. 

"I just.. I need time," I whisper into his chest. He nods his head. "I don't exactly mean away from you, I just mean before we let anything happen again, I need to make sure I trust you to not break my heart again."

We pull away and he wipes my tears. I don't want to stay away from him forever, but that doesn't mean I am ready to just jump into a relationship so fast. I lean up and kiss cheek softly, loving the feeling of it against my lips. I go back down and hug him again before taking his hand in mine. 

"Let's start off slow, as friends," I say while my feet take Niall and I into my living room. I sit down, fixing my silk robe so it is a little longer. Right now it goes just about mid thigh, maybe lower, and I am naked under this. I choose to ignore it and look back at Niall. My hand lets go of his as he takes a seat next to me. 

"What should we do?" He asks. I shake my head, not knowing what. I don't want us to go crazy again. But I can't help but think about how gorgeous he looks right now. My phone starts to ring so I sit up. 

I walk into my room and grab it. The screen is blink with an unknown number, I answer it anyways and walk into the living room. 

"Hello?" 

"Ms Kate? We have some bad news about your father." I hear a womans voice say. My father?

"Who is this calling?" I ask. I don't even know the number, it has an irish number at the front though. 

"This is doctor Laura Betrice. I have been with your father for the past few months, and I am sorry to tell you," Her voice gets crackly and I try to understand her frantic words.

"I can't hear you, mam" I say and Niall walks in. His eye brows raise and I shrug my shoulders.

"Your father has passed, Ms. Kate," My heart stops and the phone almost falls out of my hands.

"What?" I squeak out. Tears already pooling over my cheeks. Niall is at my side in seconds, not knowing what is going on, but holding my left hand in his.

"This morning, he passed in his sleep," I hear her sniffle and wander how much it hurts for her. Because it hurts a hell of a lot for me. My father was my only parent. "He has been battling cancer for the past three months, he didn't know how to tell you. He just told me this the other day. The cancer was so bad though."

I feel my hands shake as we end the conversation. I set my phone down and look up at Niall. His eyes are watery and I know he heard her over the phone. I wrap my arms around his neck and sob. I sob so hard my throat hurts. I feel my head spinning. How did this happen? Why didn't anyone tell me? why must both my parents be gone?

I step away from Niall and shake my head a little. "Can you please give me a moment by myself?" I try to ask as politely as I can. He quickly nods before kissing my cheek and walking out of the room. As soon as he leaves my room, I hear the TV turn on. I sit down on the bed slowly, not wanting to make any fast movements, I already feel like fainting. I bring my legs up to my chest and hug my knees to me. I wrap my arms around my self and just cry. I didn't think I would cry this much. I thought all of the tears were gone. But they aren't.