Chapter 5

(Clove's POV)

"Clove. Wake up sleepy head. It's time to get ready for the reaping." Cato says softly as he shakes my shoulder.

My eyes flash open and I begin to get up out of my bed. "You gotta go while I change. So shoo shoo!" I say pointing to the window jokingly.

"Aww you mean I don't get to watch you change? Okay. Bye see you soon." He frowns while laughing and makes his way to the window and flings himself over the edge.

"Bye." I say as I begin to strip off my pyjamas. I laid out my clothes that I am going to wear which consisted of a sheer white dress, leather jack and combat boots. This way I'll be somewhat comfortable, intimidating and the jacket will hide my knives. I put on the clothing and begin to attach my arm bands and leg bands beneath my dress. I have to bring my knives otherwise I'll feel defenceless. I apply just a little bit of makeup ( mascara, tiny eyeliner wing and a red tinted lip balm) and I head downstairs for a quick breakfast-to-go.

"Good morning Clove. Just to let you know we won't visit you after you volunteer because we have to leave again for our jobs, however Trevor will visit. Good luck, and don't come back as anything else except a victor." My father says to me while handing me a granola bar.

"Thanks. I guess? Where's Mom?" I ask as I eat my granola bar.

"She already left. She told me to tell you 'Good luck sweetie.'" Dad says without hesitation. I try to blink away a tear. She left without saying goodbye. I may never come back, and I would have never gotten to say good bye to her. I frown and give my father one last hug before heading out the door.

"Cato!" I joyfully exclaimed as I walked out of my front door. I jumped up and wrapped my legs around his body while we kissed and we spun around in circles. From the corner of my eye, I could see my father peeking through the window of our house with a look of disgust. Screw him.

"Hey. You look amazing." He says and lets me back down on my feet.

"Thanks. So do you." I say and admire him from head to toe. He was wearing a white dress shirt with a black tie and black pants and looked very handsome. We walk hand in hand and in silence towards the square where the reaping is held.

When we get to the square, I let go of his hand and give him a quick, soft kiss on the lips. "See you soon. Come visit."I say and Cato nods in agreement. I start to walk towards the female section (on the right) and he walks to the male section on the left. I get in line for my blood sample, where they zap your finger with a needle and blot it onto a page to identify that you are present. If you don't come to the reaping, there is serious consequences.

I shove my hand at one of the peacekeepers who zaps my finger impatiently and shoves it onto the peice of paper. He takes out a rectangular device that identifies the blood and he scans it. It reads "Clove Sevina."

"Next!" The peacekeeper yells, and I walk towards the fifteen year old section. There, I see a whole bunch of people that I know from school.

"Hey guys." I say with a smile and they all back away from me, terrified. I sigh and look over to my left and see Cato looking at me. He smiles encouragingly and I mouth the words
"Do not volunteer."

He nods his head and we look forward to see districts 2's escort (named Cianna) tap the microphone and begins to speak. She was wearing a bright red wig with a red dress that reminded me of a loofa sponge.

The cameras begin to zoom in on her face as she says "Welcome everyone to the reaping for the 74th annual Hunger Games!" Cianna says and everyone applauds. "As usual, ladies first." She says in her capitol accent as she attempts to walk in her 10 inch platform heels. When she finally makes it to the bowl I can feel my heart beating faster and faster. She carefully selects a slip of paper and walks back to the microphone. "Clove Sevina." She announces.