Chapter 18

(Cato's POV)

When I wake in he morning, I grin knowing that soon, Clove and I will have the time of our lives once we're victors. I slip out of our cave to get freshened up. It was a beautiful day outside. The sun was shining, mockingbirds singing and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. I take a deep breath in, and exhale. Since the moment I've entered this arena, I think this is the first time I feel relaxed.

I walk over to the river and take off my clothes, except for my underwear and lay them on the rocks, along with my sword. I slowly slip into the river, careful not to make a sound and scrub the dirt under my nails, and then rinse my body and hair. The cold water felt refreshing on my skin, waking me up.

"Watcha doin'?" I hear a voice ask, right behind me. I turn my head to see Clove standing there, looking down at me with a smile. "Mind if I join you?" She asks, her eyes glowed like a puppy's and she crossed her legs, looking innocent as ever.

"Come on in." I say and my lips curl into a smile.

She slowly removes her clothing and places it beside mine. She was then just in booty shorts and a sports bra and she smiled from ear to ear, slowly slipping into the water, trying not to make a sound.

"How are you?" I ask pulling her in for a kiss.

"Amazing. You?" She asks right before connecting her baby soft lips with mine.

I smile and whisper, "Perfect, now that your here." Our lips move perfectly in sink and she laces her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist.

"I love you, you know." She says and stares into my eyes. I look into her sparkling emerald eyes and they are shining bright like stars in the night. Is it just me or did she get a hundred times more beautiful during the night?

"I know." I smile and wrap my arms around her waist. They way how her body feels against mine, is a feeling that I can't describe with any other word than "perfect".

"Do you know how to swim?" She asks me her cheeks flushing bright pink.

"Yes... Why?" I ask slowly but gently.

"Well, I've never actually learnt how. My parents we're almost never home to teach me anything, I had to learn it all on my own and then teach my brother. But one thing that I've never learnt, is how to swim." She says. Her cheeks were filled with a rosy pink and I smiled, my crooked smile.

"Okay." I say and we slowly disconnect from our position.

I first started off with showing her that she can float. She was a little scared at first, but I kept both of my hands on her back to show her that I'm here to help if anything goes wrong. Then I began to show her how to kick and use your arms.

----------------------------------------------

By the end of the afternoon, Clove was an amazing swimmer. "Okay. On my count. Three, two, one, go!" I say with a smile and we blast from one end of the river to the other. We were racing, just for fun. The cold water flows by my body, leaving behind a tickling sensation. I alternate my arms and kick with my feet but she still ends up beating me. Well, you know what they say, the shorter you are the faster you'll be. I flick water at her, playfully and she squeals, splashing the water back at me. Eventually, we both give up on splashing each other and we kiss slowly but meaningfully. Her lips leaving a warm tingling sensation in my heart. I never want to go anywhere without this girl. I couldn't imagine life without her.

I hear a series of beeps occur and I look up, pausing our kiss to see a silver parachute drop from the sky. I smile and get out of the water and sit on the cold, stones. Cloves sits down beside me and swings her legs over mine and lace our fingers together. We open the package to see some new clothes, just like the ones we had on before, but clean, and some water guns. She smiles at me and raises her eyebrows at the gun.

It was just starting to turn dark and as we put on our new clothes, an announcement occurred, a man's voice booming across the arena. "Attention, tributes. Attention. Commencing at sunrise, there will be a feast tomorrow at the Cornucopia. This will be no ordinary occasion, each of you need something desperately and we plan to be generous hosts. " Claudius Templesmith announces. Perfect. This is when we'll get the chance to kill. A smirk spreads on my face knowing that we'll soon be crowned victors. There was only a couple hours left until sunrise, so we should get going now.

"Should we go now?" Clove asks and I nod. We pack up the little supplies that we have and set out for the Cornucopia. But there's only one question that keeps repeating in my mind. What do we desperately need? Then it occurs to me, we haven't eaten in 2 days... all the fun we've had today distracted me from my hunger but now, it now rules my thoughts.

___________________________

How was that? Good? Bad? Horrible?Please comment and vote! Also my Divergent story is up (in Tobias's POV) so feel free to check it out if you enjoy the divergent trilogy! :) I'll try to post the next chapter tomorrow and I'm almost at 500 reads! Thank you guys for taking time out of your day and reading this story, it truly means the world to me. :D

-madison xxoo