Chapter 22

I hear a series of beeps coming from above my head and I find another silver parachute. It lands right at my feet and I rip it open. Body armour. But why would I need this? And then I read the note.

Cato, stay alive and good luck in the finale. Go! Run now!
Good luck,
-Enobaria

I quickly put on the skin coloured body armour to protect my chest, arms and legs. It made it hard to bend but I finally got up on my feet. I look up to see the Clove mutt was still there. I stroke its fur and she smiles but then points behind me, telling me to start running. I lean in and give a kiss on the top of it's head and say my final goodbye.

"Thank you for saving me. Hopefully I'll see you soon." I say with a smile. "I love you."

I know exactly where to go, the Cornucopia. I then begin to run the fastest I've ever run before in my life. I don't even try to look back to see which mutts are behind me, because if I do, I may just die right here and right now. I don't want to die from mutts ripping me apart with their teeth. I want to die peacefully. I don't wanna be tortured. Maybe if I can just find some poisonous berries first, then I'll be able to die soon before I have to face Fire Girl and Lover Boy.

As I run through the forest I don't see any berries. Damn it. I'm jumping over logs and giant rocks because I have no time to run around them. I take a quick glance behind me to see that the mutts are about ten meters away from me. I wonder where the Clove mutt has gone? She couldn't possibly be chasing me, could she? No, she wouldn't.

I can see the clearing where the Cornucopia is and I'm getting closer and closer to it. If only I could just a run a little bit faster. I pump my arms back forth and I can feel the sweat pouring down my neck, but I don't care. By the time I reach the clearing, I'm panting as I run right by Katniss and Peeta and I keep running for my life. I hear someone behind me so I turn to see who it was. Katniss.

I fling myself up on to the blazing hot Cornucopia, from the metal being in the sun all day. I then lie down on my side, trying to catch my breath. Breathe in. Breathe out. I repeat this multiple times while Katniss and Peeta are trying to help each other up.

When I know they're both up on the Cornucopia, I ask while coughing from shortage of breath. "Can they climb it?"

"What?" Katniss shouts at me. I don't feel like repeating it for her, so I just ignore her. She probably couldn't hear me over the growling sound coming from the mutts.

"He said, 'Can they climb it?'" Peeta quotes me.

The mutts put their snouts on the horn, sniffing and scraping their paws, trying to find a way up. But I have no weapons with me anymore, I left it where I slept... damn. Now I have nothing but my own bare hands, this will be interesting. Then I notice the Glimmer mutt take a running start towards us, and lands 10 feet below Katniss and Peeta. It dangles for a while and then eventually slides backwards, falling go the ground. Katniss then shoots an arrow at it's throat and her body twitches on the ground.

"Katniss?" Peeta says.

"It's her!" She squeals. Who's 'her'?

"Who?" Peeta asks, who had the same question that I had. "What is it, Kantniss?"

"It's them. It's all of them. The others. Rue and Foxface and... all of the other tributes." She chokes out. Oh, well I already knew that.

"What did they do to them? You don't think... those could be their real eyes?" Peeta gasps. No! They can't be! Clove! They can't cut her eyes out, they must be fake. They have to be fake.

I see a mutt grab onto Peeta and Katniss is using all her strength to keep him on the Cornucopia.

"Kill it, Peeta! Kill it!" She shouts and I see him take the knife that I gave him and stab the mutt. I wish I hadn't given him the knife. I regain my breath and dash for Peeta, holding him in a headlock, cutting off his air. I stand before Katniss, with Peeta in my grasp and she aims an arrow at my head.

"Shoot me and he goes down with me." I say with a laugh. It's also partly Katniss's fault that Clove died, so I'm gonna have a little fun with her before I die.

I see her consider this, we both stand like statues and my grip on Peeta tightens. I smile triumphantly and she looks worried, trying to think of a plan quickly. "Shoot it! I'm already half dead." I say, referring to the fact that Clove who's all I lived for in the Games is dead.

Peeta lifts his bloody fingers and draws something on my hand. What the hell? He's trying to tell her where to shoot me! Katniss realizes the plan exactly one second before me, and that one second just cost me my life. She flings her arrow at my hand before I could jerk it away and I reflexively release Peeta. I cry out in pain and Peeta slams his body against mine. I lose my footing from the slippery blood on the Cornucopia from Peeta's wound and I plummet to the ground. I know I have to say something before the mutts attack me. "I love you, Clove." I whisper and the first mutt attacks me, and it was Marvel. I scream in pain as the Marvel mutt attacks my face, and several others join.

----------------------------------------------

It's been hours and hours of the worst pain you could ever feel. Your very own flesh being ripped off your skin by the teeth of mutts that were your fellow tributes. I've begged and moaned and cried multiple times and I'm now being dragged out towards the Cornucopia again after a long night in the woods. Why can't I just die already? It was Thresh's mutt who currently was dragging me by my foot to the Cornucopia. I see Katniss aim her arrow for me and I'm thankful. At least I will die quickly now. I manage to mouth the words "Please." I want to die quickly, and not tortured anymore than what I have been already. She aims an arrow at my skull and I'm thankful. A cannon goes off. I can finally be reunited with Clove. In a way, all four of us are together now. Katniss and Peeta will have a happy life together now, and Clove and I will be reunited in the after-life. In the end, all four of us got to be with our loved one.

___________________________

How was that? Good? Bad? That's the last chapter :) but i'm still going to write an epilogue so don't delete it from your library just yet! Also follow me if you want to read some of my stories in the future! I plan on writing more hunger games stories and some others:)

Thanks for reading!!! Don't forget to vote and comment!!!

-madison xxoo