Chapter 2

(Clove's POV)

"Trevor! Are you home yet?" I shout as I open our front door. No response. He must be still walking home from school. I decide to go take a hot shower before he comes home. I walk up the stairs and close my bathoom door and take off my clothes. I begin to take off my arm bands, leg bands and my waist band that holds most of my knives and hop into the shower. The cold water felt nice on my sunburnt shoulders. Why does it have to be so hot during the summer? I hate summer. You get sweaty, sunburnt, and it's too hot to do anything outside! I comb my fingers through my hair and rinse the shampoo out, then move onto my body. The cold body soap felt like heaven in a tube and as I'm rinsing it off I hear a tap, tap, tap. I grab my towel and wrap it around me as I shut off the water and look out my window.

"Cato! What the hell are you doing here?" I shout as I open the window. He was throwing stones at my window to get my attention.

"Well, I may or may not have been following you home." He says with his cute crooked smile that was irresistible. "Can I come in?" He asks.

"Only if you can climb up." I say leaning against the windowsill. Cato accepts this challenge and begins climbing up the brown bricks on the side of my house. He flings himself over the edge and smiles when he lands on both feet. "Is there anything you can't do?" I giggle. He rolls his eyes playfully.

"I still don't know how to throw a knife." He says looking up at my face and smiles.

"Oh, dang it! I'm sorry I forgot. Maybe tomorrow I'll show you." I say, feeling stupid. How could I forget, it was apart of our deal.

"It's fine, and sure, we'll do it tomorrow." He smiles and points at me. "Maybe you should get some clothes on and then we'll continue this conversation." He laughs.

"Right. Forgot about that." I say and begin to blush. The grip on my towel tightens as I leave the bathroom and walk into my bedroom. It had pink walls with a big black queen sized bed in the center of it. I walk over to my closet and put on white short shorts and a purple t-shirt. I quickly comb my fingers through my hair and tie it in a ponytale on the top of my head.

"Can I come in?" I hear Cato ask from outside my door.

"Yeah." I say and Cato opens my bedroom door. I flop onto my bed and Cato joins me. "So, why exactly did you follow me home?" I ask. He laughs.

"I wanted to talk to you again. Why don't you want to volunteer? You're the best female I've ever seen in the training room." He smiles and looks into my eyes. His blue eyes begin to sparkle.

"I told you, my brother needs me. Besides, I don't wanna waste my life volunteering for something I may not be able to win. Please don't volunteer, Cato." I say and close my eyes. I can feel Cato leaning closer towards me and when I open my eyes he stares right into them. Not the deadly stare, but the soft friendly stare.

"Why don't you want me to volunteer?" He asks confused.

"You're the only one who talks to me besides my family without thinking that I'm gonna kill them." I say shamefully looking down at my hands. He grabs my hands in his and I can feel the warmth in them.

"Are you sure you aren't just falling for me, Clove Sevina?" He laughs.

" Don't flatter yourself Cato-" I begin and then a knife flies right between are faces. I look towards the door and see my little twelve year old brother standing with a smirk on his face.

"Who's the dude? And since when do you have a boyfriend?" he asks.

"It's Cato and he's not my boyfriend." I say, frustrated. Cato waves to Trevor with a smile on his face while I throw the knife back at him and he quickly closes my door before he could get hit.

"Sorry about that. That is my brother, Trevor." I say lamely. Cato laughs and smiles.

"It's okay. I see he's also good at throwing knives." Cato says.

"My mother taught me before she became a peacekeeper and then I taught Trevor. That's why hes's so good however I'm much better." I say with a smile and look down at are entwined hands. "Do you have a girlfriend?" I ask.

"No. Do you have a boyfriend?" He asks with a smile.

"Nope. I'm forever alone." I laugh and he laughs too.

"We'll see about that." Cato says. He lets go of my hand and starts walking back to my window.

"Where are you going?" I ask. He turns arround to face me and swings one leg over the windowsill.

"I gotta go home for supper. Meet me at the training center tomorrow for 9:00?" He asks and I nod. "Good night, Clove." He says and jumps out my window. I run over to watch him walk away and think of his last words. "We'll see about that." Does that mean he likes me? Or does he think I'll get a boyfriend sometime soon? I put on my comfortable pyjamas and walk back to the bathroom and collect all my knives and place them under my bed for the morning.

(Cato's POV)

"Cato!" My little sister, Sage said. She had just turned twelve. "Where were you? You said you'd be home at 4:00 it's 9:30! Mom and Dad are going to be mad at you!"

"Hey. Sorry I was training late today. There's only five days left of training. Mom and dad aren't going to find out because there never home, since Mom's a peacekeeper in the Capitol and Dad is a Blacksmith. Sage, where were you today?" I ask crossing my arms over my stomach. "You're supposed to be training. If you get reaped into the games, you have to be ready." I tell her and she just looks down at her hands.

"Cato. If I got reaped, would you volunteer for me?" She asks and her little blue eyes twinkle at me like a puppy dog.

"Maybe. But you can't just rely on me to save you from the games. You have to train. Good night." I say and bend down to her short height and give her a hug. I make my way to my room when I hear her yell from downstairs.

"What about supper?" She yells.

"I'm not hungry. You go ahead." I yell back loud enough so she can hear me. I change into some comfortable pyjamas and flop into my bed. I better get some rest for tomorrow. I need to train my hardest since the reaping is so soon. I think back to when Clove and I overheard someone say we'd be a dangerous duo. Could we really? What would be like if the two of us went into the games? I go to sleep with this thought floating in my head.

-CATO'S DREAM-

"3,2,1, go!" The Gamemaker said as the games began. You could see all twenty-four tributes beginning to run from their platforms and towards the cornucopia.

I look to my left and see Clove and two other career tributes running towards the cornucopia. Clove is the fastest runner so she makes it there first and then I come second. She collects a big pack of knives and I take two medium length swords. "Duck!" Clove yells. I follow her command as she whips a knife over my head and lands straight into the girl's heart. A cannon goes off.

"Clove!" I shout and grab her by the waist and push her gently to the side. The male tribute from 5 attempted to fling an arrow at her head but before he could do anything I stab him in the throat with my sword and he falls to the ground. Another cannon sounds.

Clove stands up and says "You just saved my life." She quickly presses her lips against mine, and pulls me by the neck closer to her, deeper into the kiss. Everyone else in the games disappear and it's just me and Clove kissing underneath the Cornucopia.

-END OF CATO'S DREAM-

I sit up in my bed and place my hand to my mouth trying to find out if the kiss was real or not. I look at my surroundings while my eyes adjust and see that it's just me in my bed, in my bedroom. I flip over again still in shock from my dream. Do I actually like Clove? Why is she in my dream? More importantly why are we kissing in my dream? Is it possible that I'm falling for her? I'll find out tomorrow, I suppose. I close my eyes and the last thing I remember thinking about are Clove's twinkling emerald eyes.