Chapter 9

(Clove's POV)

The second day was fairly boring. Me and Cato avoided Glimmer as much as possible. During the obstacle course I placed first since I'm the fastest and Cato was second. It's now the final day of training and Cato and I finally decided to start strategizing with Marvel and Glimmer about the Games.

"Okay, what's your weapons of choice?" Cato asks while taking a bite out of his grilled cheese sandwich. We were in the cafeteria on the training floor.

"Spear." Marvel says and gobbles down his salad. I take a bite out of my own grilled cheese sandwich that Cato convinced me to get. I could feel the warm cheesiness of the cheese in my throat.

All of the tributes were eating at separate tables, most of them sat with their fellow tribute from their district.
I look expectedly at Glimmer waiting for an answer. Her blonde hair was done in two perfect fishtail braids and she smiled.

"A bow and a knife." Glimmer smiles and takes a bite out of her steak. Since she's from district 1 she's used to these kind of luxuries but Cato and I can go with something less... sophisticated.

A chuckles slips from my lips "Please, you'd get to worried about getting blood on you." I say sarcastically.

She glares at me and stands up and glares at me "Better than you!" She retorts and I stand up too.

"Oh really?" I ask angrily and shove a knife from my armband towards her throat. It just tickles her soft ivory skin and she whimpers.
"Thought so."

Cato's muscly arms come from behind me and makes me sit down. "Clove, relax." He says and pats me on the shoulder and I grimace. "Look don't mess with her, she's the best you could ever get at knives." Cato smiles and Marvel nods. Glimmer sits with her arms crossed over her chest and glares at me.

"Look you too, I can tell you hate each other. But if we can all just work together, we can win this." Marvel encourages us. He reminds me of one of those too positive kids who wants everything to be perfect.

"Look were in the Hunger Games not Rainbow and Unicorn land. Not everyone is friends." I say sarcastically and Glimmer rolls her eyes. God I hate her.

"I'm not asking for you to be friends. I would just like us to all be allies and trust each other. You in?" Marvel says and puts his hand in the middle of the table Cato puts his hand on top of Marvel's. Glimmer pouts and places her hand on top of Cato's. Everyone looks at me expectedly and I pout.

"Fine." I mumble and place my hand on top of Glimmer's. Her hands felt cold and sweaty, ew! I quickly remove my hand from the pile and go back to eating my sandwich.

__________________________

(Cato's POV)

"Here you go." Clove says and throws a sword across the room. All the tributes who are waiting in line for the target practice duck and try to protect themselves. I catch the sword by the handle and smile and nod a thank you towards her.

She tucks herself in between Marvel and I in line. "Hey no butting!" A little girl protests from behind me. Clove and I turn around to see the little girl from 11 with her arms crossed over her chest. Her soft brown eyes melt my heart since it was her first year being eligible for the games. Cato, stop that. Be fierce. I motivate myself to be the career that I am.

"You got a problem with that?" I ask and glare at the girl I immediately feel sorry for doing this as she shyly turns around to talk to the male from her district.

"Rude much?" Clove jokes with a chuckles and plays with one of the Capitol's knives.

"Shut up." I roll my eyes and it's her turn.

"Okay Clove. You get only three shots and there's three dummies. What is your weapon of choice?" Atala asks.

"Knives." Clove says and grips two knives in her right hand and one in her left.

"Whenever your ready." Atala says and the three dummies appear. Clove moves her right arm and whips it towards the first target and sinks it perfectly in the middle. She turns around and with her left hand, she throws a knife backwards and it stabs the center of the target. Then for her third target, she angled her body backwards again and as she turns around her arm flings the knife straight towards the center of the target. I look at the clock to see how long it took her to do this and it had only been 2.5 seconds.

"Wow, excellent job!" Atala says and scribbles down something on her clipboard.

"I told you, I never miss." She grins, her deadly smile and walks over to the bench to watch me.

"Cato Wood, your up." Atala says and I move forward to the starting line. "What's your weapon of choice?" She asks.

"Sword." I smile.

"Okay, since it's a sword you have to slice off every dummy's head and then stab them in the heart." Atala challenges me and I get ready. "Go, when your ready."

Immediately I take my sword and with one swift movement, I'm able to slice off all the dummy's heads. I then grab two more swords that were patiently waiting in my belt and stab the two dummies on the outiside and then finish with the dummy in the middle, straight at the heart.

Atala looked impressed "Not bad, Cato." She says and I look at the clock... 2.7 seconds. Dang. How could Clove beat me? Oh well. I sigh and join Clove on the bench as we stare down our competition.

The little girl who was behind us chickened out and went to the survival stations along with the girl from 12. I don't understand why you'd need that skill... If you kill everyone first, you wouldn't have to know how to take care of yourself for a while.

The boy from 12 used a big heavy ball/weight and threw it at the dummies sending them in all different directions. Not bad. We could use him on out team. Finally the last person was Glimmer. She prepared her bow and arrows and when Atala gave her the signal, 2 of her arrows flew past the dummies and one hit the rim of one of the targets. Clove bursts out laughing and I chuckle.

"Hey Glimmer! Remember what a target looks like?" Clove snickers and I smile and turn to her.

"Calm down before you two kill each other." I say and she pouts.

"Where's the fun in that?" She asks jokingly. "Wanna go back to our floor?" She asks and I nod. On our way to the elevator we come across Marvel and Glimmer. We cross our arms over our stomach and say one last thing to them for a day.

"The boy from 11 and 12 should be good. Oh and one more tip of advice, don't get on our bad side because you'll be sorry." I say and me and Clove walk to the elevator.

___________________________

"Well, I talked to Cashmere." Enobaria says as Clove and I sit down beside her on the couch.

"About?" I ask curiously.

"The kiss." Enobaria says quickly. From the corner of my eye, I see Clove looking down at her fingers and playing with them nervously. "I said that the careers didn't need romance, it would just make it more complicated. Apparently she had no idea that Glimmer kissed you. I explained the situation to her, leaving out the part of your love and she said that Glimmer will have new rules now, and that she's not allowed to even touch either of you unless it's to kill." Enobaria explains. Clove looks up and smiles at me and I give her a kiss on the cheek in return.

"I love you." I say and pull her in closer to me.

"I love you too." She says and I look into her sparkling emerald eyes and we kiss until Enobaria sits between us. "Hey!" Clove protests.

"Look, you guys have individual assessments tomorrow. Cato use the sword and Clove use your knives. Make them remember you and try your hardest. Clove you will be going right after Marvel and then Cato is next. Got it?" Enobaria says.

"Got it." I say and Clove nods.

"Oh! And try to get a 10 or higher, it will get you a ton of sponsors!" Cianna shouts from her cocktail that she was sipping from the bar in the corner of the room. She was wearing a huge lime green wig that must be itchy as hell and she wears a yellow square dress that reminds me of Spongebob Square Pants. "Sleep tight! It's a big, big, big day tomorrow!" She adds with a big fake smile. A big, big, big day huh? It seems like everyday is big, big, big day to her.

----------------------------------------------

Hey guys! So thanks for getting this story at 100 reads! Woot woot! Hopefully more to come :) this chapter is sorta short but the next one is going to be fairly long and its gonna be the last chapter before the Games actually begin!
-madison xxoo