Chapter 17

(Clove's POV)

Last night we hunted for food and tributes. However we only came back with 2 rabbits, a squirrel and some wild strawberries, but no tributes. The meal was alright, though the food at the Cornucopia would have been way better. Last night we found out that Marvel (thank god) , the boys from 3 and 5 and Rue were all dead. I wonder how Lover Boy is doing? I'm surprise he hasn't died yet, since he must have lost a lot of blood. Could Fire Girl be nursing him back to life? I don't know. I sigh thinking about the fact that there's only 6 of us left. Me, Cato, the girl from 5, Thresh, Fire Girl and Lover Boy. Maybe I should leave today... it would be easier for both of us to say goodbye now and not in the end. When I think about it, I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces. Earlier, we had placed a big boulder in front of our entrance so that we can have some privacy, away from the cameras. I love Cato so much, but it's for the best. I swallow my guilt and join Cato beside him on the floor.

"Hey." I say trying to hide my thoughts.

"What's wrong, Clove?" He asks me genuinely. Well I guess my acting skills aren't the best. I look into his deep sea blue eyes and boy, am I going to miss them. They way that I can get lost in his eyes is amazing to me. I'm also going to miss his lips connecting with mine, his hands that warm mine, his protecting arm that makes me feel safe, his perfect, soft blonde hair, his stunning face but most of all... I'm going to miss his personality. Whenever I'm with him, I feel like I'm in heaven with the guy of my dreams. The way he says my name and kisses me. The way his heart pounds against mine and the way he can constantly warm me. I'm going to miss him so much that it's unbearable to think of. If it's just me and him in the end, I'll probably just end my own life. This way, Cato doesn't have to do the unthinkable. He needs to win, for both of us and have a happy life back home. A tear runs down my cheek and he wipes it off with his thumb. They way his thumbs glide against my flesh is one of the best feelings in the world... I will miss everything about him.

"I-I'm fine." I say shakily and he leans my head against his shoulder. I can feel his arm slip around my waist and I immediately feel relaxed.

"Come on, tell me what's wrong." He says gently and more tears threaten to slip out of my eyes. I just love him too much.

I know it hurts both of us when I say this, but its for the best. "I think I should go. It will be easier to say goodbye." I say with a frown.

I can tell by his facial expressions, that he was going to say the same thing. He lets a tear slip from his blue dazzling eyes and kisses me slowly. I join in, and it's funny how our mouths fit together perfectly, as if we were made for each other. The kiss suddenly starts to get more intense, making it harder for me to catch my breath. But I don't care because this could be the last kiss of my life. While keeping our lips connected, I slowly and playfully tackle him to the ground so that I'm on top of him. I can feel his heart beat through both of our shirts and it feels so welcoming.

"I love you." I say managing to stop the tears for a fraction of a second and smile.

"I love you too. Please don't cry." He says and wipes the tears from my eyes. I can't help but let them stream down my cheeks. Because of these stupid games, I can't to be with him forever. I sigh and sit up, out of breath. Our hands link and he squeezes mine reassuringly to tell me that everything's going to be alright... but it's not going to be.

We sit silently and split up the food and supplies equally and I shove my stuff into my pack. If either one of us says something, we'll probably never be able to leave. He pulls me into one last embrace for what feels like hours and then presses his warm lips onto my forehead and whispers. "Be brave, Clove. I love you." He says.

My body begins to shake with sadness as I respond. "I love you too." I say and turn around and begin to walk, our hands slowly falling apart. I can't look back or else I won't be able to leave. I begin to sprint into the dark night of the forest hoping to find some tributes to kill. It's hard to see anything because my eyes are welled up with tears.

When I'm deep in the forest I hear loud, thumping footsteps. I immediately stop sobbing and crawl into a bush. When I know that no one will be able to find me, I pull my night vision goggles over my eyes. I see a big foot right in front of me. I slowly scan the dark man, and it's the person I never wanted to face. Thresh.

He looks from left to right trying to figure out where I went. My heart is pounding a thousand times a minute in horror as I hope he won't find me. Eventually he leaves, and when I know he is long gone, I exit my bush and begin to walk. I wish Cato was here to wrap me in his arms and tell me that it's okay and that I'm safe.

Maybe if I was taller, stronger and not so scared, I would have attacked Thresh. But right now, I'd prefer to kill someone weaker like the girl from 5 or Lover Boy. What if there's some way that we could win together? I immediately dismiss that thought but I'm soon to know that I was wrong.

Claudius Templesmith's voice booms down from overhead, congratulating the six of us who remain. At first I thought this could have been the invitation to the feast that is always held around now, but no, this is a different rule change. He explains that with the new rule, both tributes from the same district will be declared victors if they are the last two alive. Claudius must sense that most of us are confused (though this is directed at Cato and I , and then Katniss and Peeta.) he repeats the rule change. My jaw drops in aw and I'm squealing with joy. "Cato!" I scream and at the same time, I hear Fire Girl yell out for Fire Boy. This means war. There's no doubt in my mind that the rule change was for them but right now, I'm the happiest girl in the world. There's no way I'm going to let Fire Girl and Lover Boy win the games. I will get to win, with Cato.

----------------------------------------------

(Cato's POV)

I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face. I can with the games with Clove! It's the best news I've ever gotten in my life. I begin to run in the direction she ran, to find her. Along the way, I see a patch of beautiful roses and I pick one up carefully. It's beauty reminds me of Clove, so I slip it into my pocket.

I keep running faster, eager to see her beautiful face again and thump! I fall to the ground but when I see who I collided with, how can I be angry? "Cato!" She squeals and claims my lips. I kiss her back almost forgetting about the games and everything but then I remember something that I wanted to do.

"Clove. I'm giving you this rose. It reminds me of you, since you are so beautiful and loving. My life with you has been amazing so far, and I can just imagine so many more memories that we'll have together after the games. Also, with this rose, I promise to protect and love you forever and hopefully one day we can make 'us' official." I say with a smile she smiles her stunning, cheeky smile and takes the rose and places it in her pocket for safe keeping.

"Thank you. And I love you more than anyone or anything in the world. This journey we've been on is both amazing but yet terrifying but I wouldn't want to go through it with anyone else but you." She says and we kiss for what feels like the millionth time since we started dating. As we kiss, I realize that we shouldn't be out in the middle of no where, instead we should go back to the cave. I slip my arms under her legs and neck, swooping her off her feet. I carry her back to our cave, where we will be safe. I smile proudly knowing that the girl I love, is here safe in my arms, forever.