Chapter 22 AE

(Cato's POV)

I wait nervously at the edge of the stage. Clove is on one side, I am on the other. I take the wedding ring from my pocket, it was so beautiful. The silver band was filled with tiny little diamonds that went all the way around. But the focal point is the big diamond in the center, it was in the shape of a circle with a diameter of about 0.75cm.

Enobaria tole me that since I showed them up, I had to show how much I love Clove, so that meant getting married. What if she says no? On national television? That would be terrible, Snow would definitely kill us. But she wouldn't do that, would she?

My body trembles in fear of a 'no' while the anthem blares. I shakily stand up and pretend to give thanks to the Capitol. Then the prep teams are presented. One by one our designers take the stage, waving and smiling.

They're then followed by Cianna, wearing a dress that almost looked like white, puffy clouds. I'm happy for her, she looks like she's having the time of her life. I smile. Enobaria then follows, waving and smiling and the crowd goes wild. She's been guiding lots of tributes into winning the Games lately, she's very good.

As for me, I am wearing a very innocent looking tux, Jago told me that he needed me too look as innocent as possible since it was after all, my plan that got us into this mess.

I turn my head towards the stage and the bright lights blind my vision. The crowd roars and I know its our time to shine. I take three steps onto the stage before Clove jumps straight into my arms. I take the perfect opportunity to place a kiss on her lips. She smiles. She looks flawless, not a single scratch on her skin, no bruises or dirt. Clove holds on to me as tight as she can, the crowd goes crazy. Does she know how much danger we're in? Is she acting?

We stay like that for about 10 minutes, smiling and waving at the crowd as well, but I never let go of Clove's hand. I don't ever want to lose her. Finally, Enorbaria shoves us towards the victor's chair. It's usually a single, thrown looking chair, but this year since there's two tributes, it's a circular, red love seat. Perfect for the two of us.

I lead Clove towards the little couch and sit towards the right side, Clove sits down as close to me as possible. I swiftly swing my arm around her, placing it around her waist, protectively.

Clove has gone through way too much in her lifetime. Her abusive father, watching her mother be killed, being bullied and ignored her whole life. I'm not going to let anyone ever hurt her again.

Basically, she's practically sitting on my lap. I smile and Clove plants a kiss on my cheek. Being this close to her reminds me of when we cuddled together while we were sleeping in the Games, almost every night. I can't wait to live in Victor's Village with Clove, hopefully we can even start a family. That is, if she says yes to my proposal at the end of the show.

Ceaser makes a few jokes but then the show begins. This will last exactly three hours and it's required viewing for all of Panem. Wow, that must be boring having to watch our reaction of the Games. On the bright side, I'll get to see the Games in other people's point of view. The lights dim and Clove gets a little antsy. "I don't want to watch myself kill all theses people. I don't wan to relive that." Clove whispers in my ear.

"I don't want to either, just focus on something else." I whisper back, she nods. The anthem plays again, for what? I don't know. And the highlights begin. We watch the bloodbath as Marvel, Glimmer, Clove and I basically dominated. We killed many people. But should I really be proud of that? Why did I actually want to win these Games? It just hits me now, I will be living in guilt and regret for the rest of my life.

It amazes me that all this time, before I volunteered, I thought these games meant something. I thought it was a good idea to kill everyone. I thought I would be so proud of myself. I know what I am now, a murderer.