Eight

"You put everything at risk. Everything! Our reputation. The likes and works of our great Monsignor! His dreams and everything Mother Superior Hannah has work on for this place." Sister Esther says hitting her desk with a whip as she yells at Sister Kate.

"I used bad judgment, Sister." Kate cries.

"Bad judgment? Like you ate too much cake? Is that what you mean, Sister? What will the Monsignor and Mother Superior Hannah think if they ever found out!?" Esther fires back.

"Mitch Grassi got me very confused." Kate cries.

"Maybe the sinners mind. Maybe my faith in you is nothing but the sin of pride." Esther says.

"No! You don't understand, Sister!" Kate cries.

"No! I've heard enough! I refused to see what others saw in you! When they said you were stupid! I simply said no. You were more pure than the others." Esther says.

"You're not doing enough, sister." Kate says as she calms down.

Kate stands up quickly walking over to Esther's closet of whips and takes the biggest one that will hurt the most and slams it down on Esther's desk.

"Punish me, sister! Please! I've disobeyed you! I'm too weak and I'm stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" Kate says cries leaning on the desk.

Esther slams the whip on the desk to get Kate to stop he crying for once.

"Stand up and get out I don't have time for this." Esther says putting the whip back in the closet.

"You're too good to me, sister." Kate says.

"If I ever hear you call yourself stupid again, I will beat you bloody." Esther says.

Kate just looks down at the ground and walks out of the room as Esther closes her closet.

**

Mitch wakes up and doesn't know where he is.

He thinks he's back at home somehow, until he hears Sister Esther's voice.

"You're awake. What a relief." Esther says.

"What's going on?" Mitch asks.

"You had an accident." Esther says.

"Somebody attacked me." Mitch remembers.

"You writers with your very fertile imaginations." Esther laughs.

"You took a tumble." Esther says.

"Get me out of this thing." Mitch says.

"No. You mustn't move. You've got a long recovery ahead of you." Esther says.

"You can't keep me hear. There are people who will come looking for me." Mitch says looking into Esther's eyes.

"Do you think so?" Esther asks.

"You said he was hurt?" Austin asks Sister Esther who was sitting right next to him.

"While trespassing." Esther says.

"You and Mr.Grassi have a cramming home here. It's very cozy." Esther says looking around.