Twenty-Four

Avi is in the common room helping set everything up for the movie night for the patients since the storm is hitting tonight.

Mitch gets up and rushes towards Avi is ask him a few questions.

"Dr.Kaplan? My name is Mitch Grassi. Can I have a word with you? In private." Mitch asks as if it were urgent.

"Can you excuse us for a moment please?" Avi asks a patient who was sitting at the piano.

The patient gets up and walks away but keeps looking back at Avi and Mitch.

"Thank you." He says with a smile.

"Mr. Grassi I know a little about your case, but I'm not allowed to discuss it with you. I'm technically only to serve one patient." Avi says.

"No. It's not about me. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I've been watching you and you're not one of them. I'm desperate! I need to get a message to my friend on the outside! Austin Macedo." Mitch says.

"This 'friend', he must be the reason why you're in here?" Avi asks.

Mitch pauses for moment.

"He hasn't written....or called! I know Sister Esther is keeping him away from me! If I could just see him, I can straighten this out!" Mitch pleads.

Avi stares at Mitch and doesn't know what to say or how to help him.

"Dr.Kaplan, you are my last hope! Will you help me give him this message?" Mitch says handing over a small piece of paper to Avi.

"You are asking me to betray Sister Esther? Who is the administrator of this sanitarium?" Avi asks in a low tone looking deep into Mitch's eyes.

Mitch was about to speak up, when Avi quickly took the note from him and slipped it into his jacket pocket.

He gives Mitch a smile and then walks away.

**
Kirstie is in the kitchen working, when Rachel comes in and glances at her with a tray full of bread.

Rachel waits until the guard leaves the kitchen to run over to Kirstie.

"I saw you guys conspiring upstairs. You're plotting your next escape." Rachel says.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Kirstie says.

Rachel looks at Kirstie with crazy eyes and then to Jenise, who has been watching them the entire time.

"Are we talking to you?" Rachel snaps at Jenise.

Jenise quickly gets back to what she was doing before Rachel yells at her again.

"I can help! I'm smarter than that stuck up reporter! Kirstie, we gotta get out of here." Rachel says.

"Why? So you can screw more girls?" Kirstie asks.

"You think a girl like me wants to waste her life away in a big house!? My parents are in France. They're twenty years ahead of us! Here I'm a freak! There I'd be celebrated." Rachel goes on.

"I'm not from there. My mother and sister are." Kirstie says.

"I'm getting out of here with or without you! We can help each other. Please?" Rachel pleads.

One of the nuns walks into the kitchen and Rachel gets back to work while Kirstie is deciding what to do about Rachel.

They keep exchanging glances at each other.

Rachel looking to Kirstie for an answer and Kirstie undecided.

Yay finally an update! Sorry it took me so long I've been busy and kind of lazy😬 but a new chapter yay!