Chapter 1 - Bad Day, Good News

"Have a nice summer Ember" Libby said walking away from me, her little gang following behind her as they left me on the cold concrete floor, blood trickling down the side of my head from the gash just above my right eye.

The content of my backpack was spread out around me and other students were simply walking past not even taking a second glance.

I'm Ember Parker, the quiet kid with the glasses and beanie who mostly spends her time alone. The kid who prefers to draw, listen to music, take photos and skateboard rather than go out to parties and shop on the high streets.

Slowly I gathered my things and put them back into my bag before getting up off the ground. I then made my way out of the building, wobbling as I went as a result of my throbbing head.

I walked along the street with my headphones in my ears playing Shawn Mendes as I watched my feet kicking stones as I went, my attempt to block out the world around me.

"Oh just great." I muttered to my self as it started raining.

Oh the wonders of the great British weather, it even rains in summer.

I didn't even bring my coat with me today as it was sunny this morning so by the time I eventually made it home I was dripping wet. I looked like I'd jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed and walked home straight after.

"Ember is that you?" My mums voice sounded from the kitchen.

"Yeah it's me" I replied putting my soggy bag down.

"Oh Ember, go get dry before you get ill." She then said coming out of the kitchen and looking at the state I was in.

"And what happened to your head?" She asked seconds later.

"Slipped in the rain" I replied before heading upstairs to my room.

My room was nothing special. Pastel blue walls with a light beige carpet, single bed, Shawn Mendes and a The Vamps poster, bedside table with a photo of my older cousin and me when we were younger, bookshelf and a desk with my laptop, paints, drawing equipment and paper on it surrounded by my paintings and drawings on the wall around it. I loved my room.

After getting some fresh clothes out of my wardrobe and changing I took my phone out of my backpack to see a message from my 18 year old cousin Nate, who lives in America.

No matter how bad of a day I'd had, Nate was the one and only person who could cheer me up without fail.

Nate: What time is it? Summer Time?

Ember: Schools out scream and shout!!

Nate: Someone's still a big High School Musical fan

Ember: Says you, you're the one who started it.

Nate: True, True. Anyways how's my baby cousin?

Ember: Baby cousin? Excuse me I'm only 2 years younger than you.

Nate: Those two years make a huge amount of difference. Even when you're 30, you'll still be my baby cousin.

Ember: I hate you.

Nate: Love you too.

Ember: Nah

Nate: Well you'll love me soon, I've got a little surprise for you.

Ember: Ooooo what is it, tell me

Nate: You don't love me anymore so nah.

Ember: Please, please, please..... Love you Nate!!!

Nate: haha knew it

Ember: Tell me, tell me

Nate: Ok ok, keep you hair on...