Chapter 5 - Suffer In Silence

It has been a few hours since the boys had given up trying to get in/ get me out of my room. I felt awful about doing this to Nate as I knew how worried he'd be but I couldn't risk him hating me. We were as close as brother and sister and I couldn't bare losing him.

It was dark outside now, the stars were visible, shining in the back sky as I looked out of the window.

I looked over at the clock to check the time, seeing it was almost 12:30am.

By this time I was pretty hungry and debated a risky trip down to the kitchen.

As quietly as I could I pushed the desk to the side of the door, so there was just enough space to open it and me to squeeze through. However before I headed out I listened for any sign of movement coming from down stairs, but even the boys rooms were silent so I guessed they must have all been asleep kinda early for once.

I then tiptoed out of my room and down the hall, past all of the boys rooms. I didn't want to wake them.

I froze as I reached near the bottom of the stairs and stepped on a creaky step. I listened for any movement upstairs but luckily the sound hadn't woke any of them.

Eventually I made my way into the kitchen before opening the fridge and cupboards to get out the things I needed to make a sandwich.

After making it and pouring myself a glass of orange juice as quietly headed over to the patio doors that lead outside.

After silently opening them a went across the grass and found a small area under a tree that was hidden from the view of the house.

That's where I sat on the grass and ate my sandwich in peace and quiet.

Since it was summer it was still pretty warm out so after I'd finished eating, a leant back against the tree trunk and looked up at the glittering night sky, trying to use the beauty of it to clear my mind.

It reminded me of when I was younger and I would look at the night sky, saying the famous words 'second star to the right and straight on till morning', trying desperately to catch a glimpse of a twinkling trail of fairy dust, Tinkerbelle or even Peter Pan himself.

I was the kind of kid who would always be daydreaming, imagining being in magical places such as Neverland.

Nate and me would always play games as if we were like Peter Pan and would pretend the back garden or the park down the street was Neverland. We would go exploring, climbing trees, looking for pirates or swinging around on rope swings.

I even remember this one time we all went to Disney World in Florida. I was only around 6 at the time and Nate would have been around 8 or 9 so we believed it was all real, especially when we saw Peter Pan and Captain Hook. I have the photo on my desk back home, the two of us stood in the middle, me with Peters hat on my head and Nate with Hooks.

It was times like this when I wished I could just be a little kid again, with no worries (except if the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny would always come on time). Things seemed so much easier back then, before everything turned upside down.

I would always tell Nate everything that was bothering me. Despite him being on the other side of the world most of the time he always had this way of making everything better, making the bad things seem like the didn't matter.

I wished I could tell him what I was hiding but I was far to terrified of what would happen if I did. I'd known Libby for long enough to know what she was capable of.

Eventually, I managed to block all of the worries and negative thoughts out of my mind. Slowly I closed my eyes and leant my head back on the tree, the feeling of the warm summer breeze calming me.