Independence Day: Part 2

"You're kidding, right? You're playing their game? Why? Because you think they play fair? Today was supposed to be the day, step one in becoming full-fledged members of The League!" Speedy was becoming very upset.

      "Well, sure, but I thought step one was a tour of the HQ." K. Flash inquired.
"Except the hall isn't The League's real HQ." Speedy continued, "I bet they never told you it's just a false front for tourists and a pit stop for catching zeta beam teleporter tubes to the real thing, an orbiting satellite called the watchtower." He pointed a gloved finger at the roof.

      The four of us exchanged shocked looks; mouths open and eyes wide. The Justice League, however was eyeing Green Arrow with crossed arms and stares that probably hurt because of the daggers.
"I know, I know, but I thought maybe we could make an exception." Arrow tittered, "Or not."
"You're not helping your cause here, son. Stand down or-" Aquaman pleaded.

     "Or what? You'll send me to my room? And I'm not your son! I'm not even his." Speedy pointed an angry finger at Green, "I thought I was his partner, but not anymore.
Guess they're right about you four. You're not ready, especially you, Doll Face." Roy took off his yellow hat and threw on the ground, storming out afterwards. I clenched my teeth together, shooting up to my feet.
"You're just jealous that after only two years I'm considered ready for something that took you forever to advance to!" I shouted after him. Batman and Robin hurried over to me, Batman knelt down.
"10," Bats whispered to me, "Count to 10."
"Don't let that get to you, Blue. You are beyond ready. We all are." He didn't know I was Dolly, so he didn't know it was my trigger word that got me and not the insult.

     "Superman to Justice League. There's been an explosion at project Cadmus. It's on fire." Superman explained when his head popped up on the computer." Batman left me to join the JL (Justice League). But I had Robin.
"I've had my suspicions about Cadmus. This may present the perfect opportunity to in-" Batman was cut off by,
"Zatara to Justice League! The sorcerer Wotan is using the amulet of Attan to blot out the sun. Requesting full League response."
"Superman?"
"It's a small fire." Superman gave his permission, "Local authorities have it under control."

      The sidekicks began making our way to the heroes, ready to help.
"Then Cadmus can wait. All leaguers rendezvous at Zatara's coordinates. Batman out." He hung up on Superman and turned towards us.
"Stay put." Bats demanded flatly.
"What?" I cried.
"Why?" KF insisted
"This is a League mission."
"You're not trained." My jaw fell once again.
"Since when?" Kid Flash questioned.

      "I meant you're not trained to work as part of this team." Flash gestured to the ones beside him.
"I may not be, but they are." I insisted.
"Blue Jay, there will be other missions when you four are ready." Aquaman promised.
"But for now, stay put." Bats growled. I threw an internal tantrum.
"Glad you didn't bring you-know-who?" Arrow asked Mr. Manhunter. 
"Indeed." And with that they JL was gone.

     "When we're ready? How are we ever supposed to be ready when they treat us like-- Like sidekicks?" Kid Flash threw his arms in the air; his tantrum was external.  
"My mentor, my king, I thought he trusted me." Aqualad pouted. I rubbed his back sympathetically.

    "Trust? They don't even trust us with the basics! They've got a secret HQ in space!" KF raged, once again putting his arms up. I crossed my arms in front of my chest and snorted.
"What else aren't they telling us?" I growled.
"I have a better question," Robin had finally spoke, "Why didn't we leave with Speedy?" I gasped at his comment.
"Because Rob, we are loyal." I huffed. Fixing my hair and suit for no reason except that I was flustered.
"What is project Cadmus?"
"Don't know, but we can find out." Rob and I did in unison. As we began typing on the computer, attempting to get past firewalls and encrypted codes
"Access denied." I laughed quietly as I pulled my gloves further onto my hand.

     "Want to bet?" Mr. Cocky- I mean Robin!- smirked.
"Whoa! How are you doing that?"
"Same system as the batcave." I informed. Giving Robin a nod to let him know I had gotten past my half of firewalls. We smiled and leaned backwards.
"Access granted." Robin let out a cheer, we high-fived each other for a job well done. I gave my attention to the screen. A single file appeared. Robin quickly began navigating his way through it.
"All right." I began.
"Project Cadmus. Genetics lab here in D.C." Robin read.
"That's all there is, but if Batman's suspicious, maybe we should investigate." I suggested excitedly. Robin nudged me lightly, nodding in agreement.
"Solve their case before they do. It would be poetic justice." Aqualad stated.
"They're all about justice." Robin began to come up with the many ways we could go around their words, ways in which we could do what we planned without technically breaking any rules. I could tell by looking at him.
"But they said stay put."
"For the blotting out the sun mission, not this." Rob supplied quickly.

       I put a hand on his shoulder; proud to call him my partner. Unlike Batman, who doesn't even trust us. I mean I've kept the fact that I'm living a double life a secret from someone I live with! Yet I can't know about a building in space? Even if I can't, what about the other sidekicks who have been with their mentors for much longer than I have?

      "Wait. Are you two going to Cadmus? Because if you're going, I'm going." Wally put his hands on his chest, bouncing up and down slightly. The three of us turned to look at Aqualad for permission. Big, fake smiles took form on our faces.
"Just like that we're a team on a mission?" Aqualad sighed.
"We didn't come for a play date." Robin and I mischievously stated in sync.

A/N: I'm trying to stick to the show. There will be little parts I add in but I enjoy fanfics that stick to the book/movie/show they came from. Toodles till next chapter. XOXO😘😘