The Hero

Peggy's POV.

Peggy and Steve went to Howard and finally convinced him to fly them into enemy territory. While they were on the plane Peggy explained the plan to Steve. "You know, you two are gonna be in a lot of trouble when you land." Steve told them while putting on his military gear. "And you won't?" Peggy asked. "Where I'm goin', if anybody yells at me I can just shoot 'em." He joked with a wry smile.

Peggy knew he was joking, but didn't think this was the time nor the place. She took all of it very seriously. Concerned on how lightly Steve was taking all of this she looked at him with worried eyes. "And they will undoubtedly shoot back." She warned. "Well let's hope it's good for something." Steve said looking at his shield.

"Agent Carter, if we're not in too much of a hurry I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue." Howard asked from the pilot seat. Steve's eyes immediately darted to Peggy. Peggy looked awkwardly at Steve. Ever since she and Mr. Stark had met he continuously tried flirting with her. She of course did not cooperate.

Steve looked at her oddly. He seemed very confused. "Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen. He's mad enough to brave this airspace, we're lucky to have him." She said. Steve nodded, opened his mouth and closed it. Peggy raised her eyebrows in a question of what he wanted to say. "So are you two...? Do you...? Fondue?" He asked.  Peggy raised an eyebrow at his comment. What was he talking about? She wondered. She she shook her head shaking off her confusion.

She quickly handed him a transponder. "This is your transponder. Activate it when you're ready and the signal will lead us straight to you." She explained. He took it and looked at it. " Are you sure this thing works?" Steve asked. Howard yelled from the pilot seat. "It's been tested more than you, pal." Steve gave a Kurt nod.

Suddenly the plane began to get hit by enemy fire. Steve jumped up and opened the hatch door. "Get back here! We're taking you all the way in!" Peggy yelled after him. Steve ignored her order. "As soon as I'm clear, you turn this thing around and get the heck out of here!" He shouted over the loud sound of wind. Peggy hair blew away from her face as she approached Rogers near the hatch. "You can't give me orders!" She shouted at him. "The heck I can. I'm a Captain." He shouted back and winked at her. She felt her heart flutter.

Then the feeling dropped rapidly to her stomach as she watched Steve jump out of the plane. She gasped. "Steve!" She yelled after him. "What have I done?" She asked herself knowing that by helping him she had put his life in complete danger and now she may never see him again. She watched as he opened his parachute and drifted down into enemy territory.

There was no way she could protect him now. Why did she want to protect him? Peggy wondered. She closed the hatch. Then she thought for a moment. Was it because she still thought of him as that small, weak, but courageous boy from Brooklyn? Or was it because she somehow felt an attachment towards him.

Peggy suddenly realized....she had feelings for Steve. The feelings had been growing since the day she had met him and now they were very strong. She smiled at the thought. "Howard let's get out of here." She shouted. "Got it!" He answered. She prayed silently that Steve would come back to her. She decided to keep her faith in him. If anyone could do it, Steve Rogers could.

When they landed back at the base Colonel Philips was there. Peggy and Stark walked out of the plane ready to be scolded. Howard, while walking towards the Colonel, tried to slip his arm around Peggy's waist. She quickly grabbed his hand and glared at him. She looked straight ahead while still holding his wrist tightly. "Try that again and you'll loose that arm." She firmly told him. She then let go and he rubbed the blood back into his rist. "Owe." He said blankly. Peggy rolled her eyes.