Regret

Peggy's POV.

Peggy had gone to the doctors while Steve was with Howard getting tested. While she was there she was told some wonderful news. She was going to have another baby! She couldn't wait to tell Steve the news!

Peggy walked into the house and found Angie on the couch reading Michael a story. "Hey! Look whose back!" Angie said. "Mommy!" Michale ran to Peggy almost knocking her down and hugged her. Peggy giggled and gathered him up in her arms. "Hello sweetheart! Did you have fun with Aunt Angie?" He nodded enthusiastically. "And guess what?" "What?" "I read 4 whole pages today!" Peggy smiled. "That's wonderful sweetheart! I'm so proud of my little boy!" She tickled him. He giggled.

"Why don't you go on to your room. Say goodbye to Aunt Angie. Mommy will call you when dinners ready." Peggy put him down onto the ground. "Okay Mommy." He ran over to Angie and hugged her. "Bye bye." "See you later Michael." She answered smiling. He walked off to his room.

Peggy bit her lip trying to hold back her excitement. She turned to Angie and grabbed her hands quickly, leading her over to the couch. "Easy, English! Remember, I can't move a quickly as I used to." She said putting a hand on her stomach. Peggy couldn't contain her smile. "I went to the doctor today." "And?" "Angie. Steve and I are going to have a baby!" She said ecstatically. Angie gasped and hugged Peggy. "That's great Pegs! I always thought that Michael needed a companion. I'm so happy for you! When are you going to tell Steve?"

"Tonight when he gets home. Oh Angie I'm so happy! And I know Steve will be too. We've wanted this for so long." Angie smiled warmly. "Well it looks like the Rogers family is going to get a new addition. What do you hope it is?" Peggy thought for a moment. "I honestly don't care. I just want it to be healthy. "Well, I better get going. Call me and tell me Steve's reaction. He'll be thrilled!" She stood up and followed Angie to the door. "See ya later English...and little English." She said looking at Peggy's stomach. Peggy smiled. "Bye Angie."

Peggy quickly went into her bedroom and picked out her favorite red dress and put it on. "Mommy?" Peggy spun around to see Micheal standing in the doorway with his head tilted. "Yes dear?" "What are you doing? Are you and Daddy going to eat?" Peggy smiled. "No dear. Mommy just felt like getting dressed up." "Oh. Why?" "Because... it's fun." "Why?"

Peggy sighed and leaned down to Michael. "Michael, sometimes there are just something's that you don't need to know and worry about okay?" He thought about what she said. He nodded. "Okay Mommy. You look pretty!" He said happily. She smiled. "Thank you sweetie. Now,  go on and play. I'll call you when dinners ready." "Okay." He hopped out of the room.

Peggy sighed contently. She put her hand on her, at the moment, flat stomach and smiled. She had finished getting ready and made dinner. Bucky had called and said that Steve would be late for dinner so Peggy decided that she would let Michael eat.

He came in and dug into his food. She smiled, watching him eat. He hobbled down his food quickly and asked for more. Peggy giggled and put some more food on his plate. He ate quite a lot for a growing boy. After he was down he kissed her on the cheek and ran off to his room.
Peggy washed his plate and heard the front door open and close.

Peggy smiled excitedly and ran out off the kitchen to see Steve standing by the fireplace with his arm on the mantle and his head staring at the floor. He looked upset. Peggy furrowed her eyebrows. What had happened? Worry began to corse through her.

Peggy walked to the middle of the living room slowly. She stood and watched him. He still hadn't noticed her there. He was deep in thought. Peggy tilted her head observing him and cautiously opened her mouth. "Steve?" His head jerked up to look at her. His eyes were filled with sorrow. He put on an, obviously fake grin. "Hey, Peg." "Darling, what's wrong?" "Nothing, honey. Don't worry about it." Steve said.