November 29th, 2016, 12:47 AM

It's past midnight. A little while ago I finished scrolling through Instagram, put my phone down, sat up in the middle of my bed and just thought.

And I smiled.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but instead of going down the dark path that my mind normally takes around this time, I thought about the happy things.

There's so much bad happening in the world, from the Sioux people defending standing rock peacefully and being hurt and facing police brutality for protecting their land, to the attack at Ohio State, to the battle of Mosul, to wildfires in Tennessee, not to mention the thousands of people who probably had a horrible day, or lost their jobs, or lost a loved one.

But for once, instead of seeing all the bad, I looked at the good. I looked at how far the LGBT community has come in the last 10 years, and how people have stood together to make sure their voices are heard as they say "Black Lives Matter", and how, despite the fact that they can do nothing, people led peaceful protests throughout the country against Trump, and how people of different colors and sexualities are finally getting representation in movies and on television.

We, as a people, have a long way to go. But look how far we've come.