Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter 23

Shawn looked over at the passenger seat at Courtney. He had a sudden disgust for her, but he couldn't allow it to show as much as he wanted. The conversation he'd had with Beyoncé was still fresh in his mind, and he couldn't believe the things that she has insinuated. To tell Beyoncé that they were still having sexual relations was a new low for Courtney, especially because he wasn't used to her being vindictive like this.

"Do you think we'll have a boy or girl?" Courtney asked to break the ice. She didn't know whether or not Beyoncé told Shawn about their encounter or not, but she wasn't going to deny it.

Shawn rolled his eyes and diverted his eyes back to the road. "I just want a healthy baby," he answered.

Courtney frowned. "Oh, please. Everyone has a preference. I prefer a little girl."

The thought of Shawn having a child was scary for him. He was never a big fan of children, so it was always an uncomfortable experience when he was around them. Shawn didn't know the first thing about being a parent. "That's great."

Courtney released a deep breath and turned in her seat. "Is there something you need to say to me, Shawn? Your attitude reeks."

Shawn bitterly laughed at her and pulled into the parking lot of the doctor's office. He had made a promise to stay on a narrow road with Courtney. If it weren't about the baby, he didn't want to entertain her. "I just would like this appointment to go smoothly."

Courtney removed her seatbelt and got out of the SUV. She waited for Shawn at the front of the SUV and held her hand out for him to grab. Shawn looked at her hand, and began walking to the front desk. "The mortgage is due tomorrow."

"Looks like you need to find some money," Shawn replied. He held the door open for her and allowed her to walk in before him. The doctor's office was, thankfully, a more upscale one. He would have hated Courtney for putting him the position to have fans surrounding him at a time like this. He sat down and pulled out his cellphone in hopes that Beyoncé was finished with her meeting with Giselle. He'd spent over an hour on the phone with her this morning due to her fears. She feared everything, but Shawn feared that things would go wrong and he wouldn't hear from her for a while.

Courtney sat down next to him and eyed him for a moment. They weren't seated by any other people, so she felt their conversation was private enough. "What do you mean by that, Shawn?"

Shawn looked at her blankly. "You're trying to ruin my career, and you think I'm going to keep supplying you with the lifestyle?"

"You told me I was good."

"Before you started going to the media with everything. I'm sure they'll hear about this conversation, too, but I don't care. You've crossed too many lines. You can find you a job and get an apartment."

Courtney looked away from him. She never thought she'd see the day when Shawn would stop providing for her. Before Shawn, she was a strong, independent woman. He had persuaded her that he made enough money for the both of them, and he wanted her to just relax and enjoy the perks of his lifestyle. They were in a marriage without the papers, so she didn't see the problem. Hell, when he left her for Beyoncé, she still didn't see the problem.

"You want your child to live in an apartment?"

Shawn side eyed her, hoping that she wasn't trying to pull that pathetic mess. "Many children live in apartments. I grew up in a townhouse in the ghetto."

"My child is not living in the ghetto, Shawn."

"Did I say that? I said you're going to have to start providing for yourself, Courtney. I can't do it anymore."