Forty (Part II)

I could smell him.

My mate.

His scent mixed with several others I undoubtedly recognised.

I attempted to mask their growing scents with the familiar floral scent of the woods I’ve become so accustomed to, hoping Oliver noticed nothing.

“Wow.” was all I could manage as I stared at Marcus’ old home.

I never imagined the dull old place looking this great, even with the ideas I had in mind only days prior.

“I agree. I definitely have outdone myself on this one... If only my mate were here to see it.” he sighed, his eyes filled with sadness as they wandered away from me.

Curiosity sparked... Well, that and the wish of wanting to fool him a little while longer than I originally planned.

Stab him.
Burn him.
Save Luke.
Free captives.
Become Alpha.
Be happy family.
Happily Ever After.
Ta-Da!
The End.

“What happened, if I may ask?” I questioned, a small smile playing at my lips as Oliver turned to look at me.

“Well... My rose petal was from a foreign world where roses were forbidden and meant to have thorns... She was human. Married to some king of sorts. And when we met, she knew. She knew who and what I was. But her love never faltered, and she followed me on my leave back to my home and loved me despite the countless times I lost control and angrily shifted in her presence, endangering her of course...” his eyes teared as he smiled lightly “We were happy. So happy that our happiness created a little life.” he looked up, his hands circling around each other evidently creating a little transparent ball of ice in his hands when suddenly he crushed it “But that king came for her. And we tried to reason with him. She was mine, the little belly she had, proved it. His anger blinded him. And he killed them. Dragged a dagger from her chest to her thigh... My rose petal and my little rose bud both died that day. So I killed him... And now I’m a heartless person who can control ice. What a lovely story, right?” he smirked.

I just stood there.

My mouth gaping like a gob smacked fish out of water.

Suddenly a door behind Oliver flew open. “Stay away from her!” Luke growled, barreling straight towards us.
Oliver spun around, his hand outreached.

He’s going to hit him.

But how do I stop him?

Freeze time. You’ve done it before. You can do it again, stupid.” My wolf growled, annoyed.

And I did.

I pushed myself to feel every moving object in the room beside me, instantly stopping them in their places.

Stephan came skidding in over the icy floor, eventually coming to a stop before he could bump Oliver over.

“What the heck?” he exclaimed.

“He wanted to kill Luke. What else was I supposed to do?” I hissed.

“I was talking about the ice.” he sighed.

“Oh... Apparently your friend here became an Elemental when his mate died.”

“Yadira’s dead?” Stephan gulped.

“Ya-what?” I questioned. The name was a foreign mouthful.

“Yadira. She was his mate... And my friend.” Stephan breathed.

“I’m sorry Steph.” I whispered, guilt clogging my throat.

“It’s okay. Explains why he’s doing this. He lost it.”