Twenty Three

I don't know how I got home, but when I opened my eyes - I was there.

Lying between the soft sheets in my bed with Luke sitting in a chair next to it, his head on his arm and his arm on my bedside table - sleeping.

I don't know how long I was staring at Luke but I was enjoying it very much until...

"Stop staring at me. It's creepy." he groaned.

"Sorry." I giggled.

"It's okay. I know it's hard not to appreciate a work of art like myself." a lazy smile playing at his lips as he stretched his arms out, making it look so good I couldn't resist the urge to stretch out myself.

"How long have I been out for? Cause by the looks of you and the smell of you... It's been a while hasn't it?" I questioned.

"Only 4 days." he breathed, smiling "Vulcan figured that the arrow they shot you with had some kind of neurotoxin in that made you have hallucinations as well as knock you out for 'a while'... Could've been worse if he didn't remove some of the poison from your blood." he sighed.

"Why are you so calm?" his words and non-panicked actions had me worried.

"I'm not, actually. I'm just too tired to do anything about it AKA go ape shit at this stage." he yawned "I've spent most part of the time in the dungeons. Chained to a wall. Thinking that you were dying... Until Vulcan came and showed me your tests and convinced me that you were going to be fine." his hand now resting on my cheek as he stared at me with a lazy smile.

"So what you're telling me is that you went ape shit and now you're still going ape shit inside there and you're just smiling at me like a turd?" I grit out. Why the fuck am I so moody?

"Your coming heat is the only thing keeping my demon in its cage, it hates the fact that you might be in pain but it accepts the fact that you're not his mate, but mine and my wolves... But I can't say the same about my wolf though." he grinned "He's been wanting to take you ever since he smelled you in the woods." his eyes shading over as he leaned in for a kiss.

"Would you not? I've got dragon breath." I waved him off.

"So?"

"You will die." I smiled sweetly.

"Speaking of death..." his facial expression turning sour "We need to bury some people." he sighed.

"Who have we lost?" my voice filled with sadness.

"Jamie, Devon and..." he took a deep shakey breath "Stacy." his eyes tearing up at the mention of her name.

"Why are you crying?"

"Because she found her mate that day... And she died. She was so happy, Lexi. Almost happier than I was when I met you and she died. I can't imagine what it would've been like to have lost you now never mind when we just met. Her mate is going insane. He's been spending all his time in the dungeons, ripping everything Richard would give him to pieces. Lexi, he ripped the bars of his cell off, twice!" his hands now in his hair as he paced in front of my bed while I sat tensely watching him. "Jesus Lexi, he's only a vampire. Imagine what I could do. What I would do..." he breathed before staring at me in pain.

"I won't die." I said simply.

"You don't know that." he spat.

"I do know that... Because I know you'd do anything and everything you can to keep me alive and breathing." I smiled as I got up from the bed before I walked over to him. My arms reaching around his waist as I laid my head on his chest.