Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Mads' POV

"I'm going to do it today." I tell Talia through the phone.

"I wish you the best of luck." She says.

"Thanks Talia. I've already got my bag packed and the day after grad, I'm out of here."

"I'm so proud of you Mads."

"Why's that?"

"Because before you were just going to sit back and let him force that upon you and now you're actually sticking up to your dad."

"I appreciate that, and I mean someone has to."

"I definitely agree that it should be you."

"Thanks again Talia." I say as I hear the front door open. "He just got home, I have to go talk to him."

"Good luck Mads, I know you can do it." She says and hangs up the phone.

I throw my phone on my bed and check my appearance in the mirror. I straighten out my top and fix the wrinkles in my dress. I adjust my hair and head down the stairs to confront my dad. I don't know exactly what I'm going to say to him, but it has to be said.

"Dad?" I question as I walk into the kitchen.

"What is it Madison?" He asks me.

"I need to talk to you."

"What about my dear?"

"The family business."

"Have you finally decided to cooperate?"

"No dad, and frankly I never am."

"Madison, you know that's not going to happen. When I pass away you will be taking over since you are the oldest of my children."

"No I won't dad, because I don't want to and you can't force me to."

"You are my daughter and you will do as I tell you!" He yells as me.

"It's not going to happen. And you can't make me."

"This business has been in our family for generations, you can't just end it now because you don't want to take over. I didn't either when I was your age and your grandfather said that I had to." He explains to me.

"Just because your father forced you into a miserable life of something that you didn't want to do, doesn't mean you can force me to do the same thing. Plus I have two younger siblings who would be just as capable when they get older." I tell him.

"But it goes to the oldest child, and your siblings are clearly not older than you."

"Well, I don't care dad, and it's not going to happen." I say and storm out of the room.

"Madison!" I hear him call after me. "You get back here! We are not done talking about this."

"Yes we are!" I shout and slam my bedroom door.

I grab my phone off of my bed and call up Talia again. After just two rings she picks up.

"So how did it go?" She asks me.

"Not well, he's really mad at me." I reply.

"Well it had to be said."

"I am not taking over that stupid business, and no one, not even my father can force me to."

"I like this side of you." She tells me. "Finally standing up for yourself, and not letting other people how to live your life. I'm really proud of you Mads."

"Thanks Talia."