8.0

HUNGER

'So are you going to eat now?' Roman asked Daria, but she shook her head silently.

'You're going to die if you keep up his charade.'

'I told you I'm not hungry.' She insisted.

'And I told you that it's not possible.'

'I have a small appetite.'

'That's not what your stomach says.' She glared at him, but he continued to talk. 'And even if you can't eat, aren't you thirsty?'

'I live on air, you've got a problem?' She narrows her eyes at him angrily. Roman was about to say something but he stopped, simply shrugging.

'None at all.' He looked like he was concentrating and Daria realised that he was mind linking someone, she only hoped that her mate wasn't being called cause she wouldn't be able to deal with him if she was nearly starving to death.

A few minutes later a delicious smell wafted into her flaring nostrils, which she identified as a burger, an extra cheesy, meaty one. He took it towards his mouth and chewed of a big bite, by then Daria's mouth had naturally started watering, but the thought of being drugged left her hanging in the cell helplessly.

'I can give you the second one if you want, no one will come to know. I'll eat the prisoner food too.' He held out the burger.

'I don't want to be drugged in any form, I don't care if it is to be simple or not.'

'It isn't drugged Daria, you can't escape this place, if the silver coated bars aren't enough, the metal underneath it is made strong enough for werewolf strength to not work.' Daria looked up at him, his face looked honest, but there was something about those pretty eyes that unnerved her, how could he be so good? 'Will you eat if I take a bite from yours?' He asked her.

It would have been the best suggestion for Daria, but that was only if her mother hadn't read Snow White to her as a child. So that's what she tried to explain to Roman.

'And reenact Snow White's tale? We all know what happened, when the Evil Queen came disguised as an old vendor and happily ate the non-poisoned half, while trying to deliver Snow White to death.' Roman snorted unattractively, probably wondering where this nineteen year old girl got her idea's from.

'You can choose which part you want and I'll eat it before you eat yours.' Daria was still suspicious, but she begrudgingly admitted that it was smart.

'I still don't understand. Why do you care so much, and for a stranger?

'My mother raised me a gentleman, and a gentleman never leaves the ladies hungry.' He winked. 'And I also value my life, I don't think that Alpha will like it if his mate dies out of starvation.'

'There would be less baggage though, he could live his life without worrying about loving someone.' She darkly whispered. Silence was one thing that was becoming very common for Daria, She was already tired of it, for in her own home there was a constant source of noise, some from her stubborn sister and chattering mother. And on rare occasions her father would start to sing songs from the nineties, swinging his busy wife around the house.

Daria willed her tears to steer clear away from the bay, they couldn't spill, that was her command. It was easier said than done though, and when food that she was going to finally accept was handed to her, she barely looked up.

'You choose one and give me the other half.' Roman smiled, licking the leaked sauce from his hand. Daria's nose crinkled up in distaste.

'Here.' She handed one to him after careful evaluation and waited till he completely swallowed the piece and opened his mouth to show her proof, after which she quickly gulped down her own.

He offered her a glass of water from which he hand drank a sip from, raising it above his face and pouring it into his mouth, careful to not let the glass touch his lips.

'Can't have my wonderful scent touching you, can I?' He said in explanation.

Her thirst had been quenched slightly, but despite her hunger she couldn't eat more food yet, not before a period of observation.

'Feels nice to eat something other than air doesn't it?' Daria initially glared at him, but the smile slipping onto her face couldn't be stopped.

'Do you want more?'

'Not at present.' She replied quickly, making hin roll his eyes. Roman yawned, it was sometime around mid-afternoon since the tiredness had made her sleep through the morning, but apparently Roman had woken up nice and early to keep an eye on her.

She felt pity for him, he was stuck as her Keeper, but the selfish part of her was glad, he was proving to be more and more trustworthy every minute.

'I need to use the washroom, I'll be back in a bit. Don't move.' Roman ordered Daria, giving the first sign of leaving since she was placed under his vigilance.

'Where could I go?' She joked, though a plan was already formed in her mind.

Daria looked around the room and her eyes lingered at the wooden plank which had her attention since the previous night. Any attempt at escaping would be desperate, but she wanted to try. Maybe if she was fortunate she could squeeze through the bars.

He nodded and disappeared off the corner. Daria waited till his footsteps were faint before she moved, ripping the plank off the wall. The tips of her finger slightly grazed the silver making Daria hiss in pain.

She placed the hard wood between the bar and started to hack on it, hitting it repeatedly. The continuous clang made her fear discovery, but even after a few minutes of repeating her actions no one came, so she made her work stronger, louder, and messier.

There was a fraction of a change in the change of the bars, hardly noticeable, but for someone who was trying with all her might, it was clear. She hit it once more out of frustration, but growls startled her as she saw a white wolf taking slow, threatening steps closer to her.

She tried once more, and along with the bar she let it hit the wolf's head who roared and pounced towards her, but diverted himself in the end moment, so that he didn't injure himself by touching the bars. But Daria fell backwards, her bare shoulders hurting.

She winced, her wolf tried to help in taking away a little bit pain, but Daria's human side couldn't allow it, there wasn't enough place to shift.

The beautiful wolf shifted outside and Roman pulled on a pair of pants that were neatly folded under the chair.

'You shouldn't have done that, Daria.' His eyes were angry.

_________|||________

I know I said that I would probably not update this week, but after seeing that so many of you wait for an update I couldn't let y'all hang there!

So here's chapter Eight for you :)