Chapter 1: Crossing paths

Rory closed her book, stood, and smoothed her dress when the plane stopped at the gate.  She had slowly become accustomed to the constant travel that her job required.  In a way, the excitement and new places reminded her of all of those years ago at Yale when she had traveled with Logan.  That's likely why it was so bittersweet to be in new places.  She simply couldn't travel without thinking back to those happy days.  Oh, how she missed him.  She thought longingly about all of the experiences they had shared - the new places, the adventures, the tenderness.  She felt a tear forming in the corner of her eye, but she quickly pushed back the memories and collected her jacket and carry-on bag before stepping into the aisle to get off of the plane, reminding herself that she was here to chase a story.

She hurried off the plane and into the crowded customs area, readying her passport and documents to clear customs.  She couldn't help but let her mind wander as she waited in the long line to clear customs.  Truthfully, her mind seemed to wander often lately.  So many unresolved questions and doubts crept up.  She thought she would be able to move on more easily over time, but instead the dull ache grew sharper.  She had even tried dating again, but nothing ever felt as right as it had with Logan.  Sure, she had been dating Paul for several months now, but it lacked the passion and challenge that she longed for.

As she slowly moved forward in the line she once again replayed that fateful day in her head.  She was so taken aback when Logan had asked her to marry him at her graduation party.  Sure, she had thought more than once about the future with him, but she wasn't ready then.  Hell, he wasn't ready either.  It was obvious by the way he proposed to her.  She had never been into grand gestures or public displays, and that's exactly how he had chosen to ask her to be his wife.  She remembered well just how trapped and indignant that moment made her feel.  It was her day to celebrate her graduation, the culmination of years of hard work in order to have an opportunity to make her dream of being an overseas correspondent come true, and he had cut that celebration short by asking her to give up everything she dreamed of to marry him.  Sure, he didn't actually say that he wanted her to give it all up, but she couldn't have chased her dreams while married and starting a family.  She certainly couldn't chase her dreams of landing that perfect job if she were engaged or married to Logan either.  No newspaper would have dared hire her if she'd had those ties to Huntzberger Publishing Group.  No, she had needed to be able to make her own way in the world.  Still, not a day went by when she didn't wish that it could have happened differently. 

"Ma'am, your passport, please?"

Rory snapped out of her thoughts and hurried to the customs officer who was looking at her expectantly.  She quickly handed him her passport and answered his questions before proceeding into the terminal from customs. 

The terminal was even more crowded than customs had been, and Rory started to get lost in her thoughts again as she slowly made her way to the exit.  The ten-hour flight had taken its toll and she ducked into the ladies' room to use the restroom and run a brush through her hair.  Taking a long look in the mirror, she tried to shrug off all of the thoughts that were plaguing her and slowly pushed her way back from the counter and grabbed her bags.  She needed to go hail a cab and get on her way to her hotel to get checked in.  She thought begrudgingly about the dozens of e-mails she would no doubt have when she logged in.  She slipped out of the restroom quickly and collided with another passenger, a man, who was obviously in a hurry as well.  Her bag slipped from her hands and her coat and purse landed on the floor as she steadied herself, trying to regain her composure.  She bent to collect her belongings from the floor, and before she even stood back up she heard a familiar voice. 

"Ace?  I can't believe that it's you."

She almost froze.  Was her mind playing tricks on her?  Surely, they couldn't have both been in the same place at the same time, right?  She righted herself fully and her eyes locked with his.  It was him.  How was this even possible?

"Logan", she uttered softly, almost unable to speak. 

They stood there just looking at each other for what felt like an eternity, holding each other's gaze, unsure what to say or do.