Please Say Yes

Phil

I've known since the day I met him that I was going to marry him. It's just taken a while to actually ask him, and no matter how many times we say "I love you," there's still a lingering doubt in the back of my mind that he might say no.

I bought the ring the day I took him to train station and watched him ride away after spending a week with him after we first met. I remember watching him from the platform as he sat by the window, both of us trying our hardest not to cry first. The train began pulling away, but we didn't break eye contact. I blew him a kiss and he caught it and placed it to his lips, but all to soon, the train was gone and I was free to cry. I missed him too much and we had only been apart for five minutes. I knew in that moment that I never wanted to be apart from him. I want to be with him forever, through every up and every down, I just want to be with him.

I wiped my eyes and walked aimlessly around Manchester, not wanting to go home, but not having anywhere to be. While walking through the city, something shiny caught my eye. I walked over to the large glass windows and peered at the rings sparkling in the sunlight. I decided to walk around the store, just to look, but I knew once I saw the matte black ring that he would love it. I quickly bought it and held the small velvet box close to my chest, smiling like a fool.

Now, eight years later, the timing finally feels right. Things are slowing down for us after an extremely busy year last year, and we plan on having a more relaxing year this year. We don't have anything planned this week except to continue house hunting, and for all Dan knows, that's what he thinks we're doing today. I told him to dress up slightly, since we're "going to a nicer part of town for this house" and he obeyed. Dressed in nice button down shirts, we got on the train and sat down. I checked my pocket for the thousandth time today, making sure the small velvet box was still there. Once confirming that it hadn't jumped out of my pocket, I reached over and grabbed Dan's hand. He looked over and smiled one of his signature dimply grins that made my heart melt. He laced our fingers together and leaned into my side, smiling contently. 

We rode in comfortable silence for a while before Dan looked out his window and realized we weren't heading to the fancier side of London. He turned to me in a panicked hurry, eyes wide.

"Fuck, Phil, I think we got on the wrong train. Fuck fuck fuck this is bad do you think they'll let us see the house again if we call and explain that we got on the wrong train?" I giggled softly, only angering him. "Phil, this isn't funny, we need to get off the train!"

I grabbed his hand as he tried to stand up, and he slowly sat back down. "Dan, it's okay. We'll stop wherever this train lands and then catch the next train back to London. I'm sure everything will be okay."

Dan nodded, then ran his hand through his hair. "Okay, but at least call whoever you set up the appointment with and tell them we won't be able to make it. Otherwise we'll just look rude."

"Okay, okay, I will, don't worry." Luckily, I had already planned on that being Dan's reaction and told my mom yesterday. I switched her contact name from "Mum" to "Terri (Realtor)" and told her to change her accent so Dan wouldn't know it was her if he listened to her side of the conversation. The plan worked perfectly. I called "Terri" and told her of our situation, and she said it was no big deal; she hadn't even left yet. Dan, obviously relieved, finally calmed down.

"Thank God it wasn't a big mistake and we can see it tomorrow," he said, leaning back into my side.

"I know, we're lucky about that."

"Hey, where do you think this train is heading?" he asked as he turned his head to look at me while I tried to hide the grin I knew was forming from the anticipation.