MITCH MARNER

For @kardelisa9022 I hope you like it!

Mitch had insisted that we went to family skate

Mitch had insisted that we went to family skate. I didn't want to take off work, but gave in after listening to him whine about it for a week.

I laced up my skates and headed out on the ice with Mitch. The two of us skated around for awhile, chatting with some of the guys and their significant others. It was truly a family skate with kids skating around playing hockey with their dads and toddlers holding onto their parents hands as they wobbled across the ice.

One second I was laughing at Mitch and Auston playfully shoving each other around and the next I was laying on the ice, clutching my knee in excruciating pain. I pushed myself up into a sitting position and Mitch pulled me to my feet. I hid the pain and continued to skate around, afraid to disappoint Mitch. I spotted a puck with a slash in it and figured I stepped on it.

After another hour, we finally went home. In the car I noticed my knee had swollen some, but I figured it was just bruising. Mitch didn't say anything about it, so I kept quiet.

Once inside our shared bedroom, I stripped of my clothes and changed into one of his t-shirts and a pair of spandex. It wasn't until I climbed into bed that Mitch noticed the size of my knee had almost doubled. "Babe, what happened?" He asked, looking back and forth between me and my knee.

"I think I stepped on a puck." I told him.

"Is that why you fell?"

"I think so, yeah." I told him, sitting up against the headboard.

"Alicia, why didn't you tell me?" Mitch asked gently, placing his hand on my cheek.

"You were so excited and I didn't want to ruin your fun." I explained to him, placing my hand over his.

"I wish you would have told me. Me having fun isn't more important than you being hurt. Now come on, I'm going to take you to the hospital." Mitch said, climbing off the bed.

I slipped my shoes back on and stood up. I slowly walked over to the door and Mitch just looked at me like I was crazy. "What are you doing?" He asked, hurrying over to me.

"Walking to the car?" I said with a questioning tone.

"Nun uh, you shouldn't be walking." Mitch said, scooping me up in his arms.

"I can walk, Mitchell." I deadpan.

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should." I huffed and gave up the argument. He wasn't going to put me down if hell froze over.

After getting inside the hospital, I insisted Mitch put me in a wheelchair. He reluctantly agreed, but asked to push me everywhere so he felt better about the whole thing. He pushed me into my room and helped me into the uncomfortable bed. "Thanks, Mitchie." I kissed his cheek before he sat down in the chair next to my bed.

"I'm sorry, Alicia." He sighed, taking my hand.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." I told him.

"I was too busy messing around with the guys to notice you in pain." He said sorrowfully.

"Hey, I like to think I'm a pretty good actress." I told him, trying to lighten the mood. He cracked a smile then a laugh.

"Best I've ever seen." I laughed and pressed my lips to his.

"I love you, Mitch." I mumbled on his lips.

He pulled away and rested his head on mine. "I love you too, Alicia." There was a knock on the door and Mitch leaned back into seat as the doctor came in.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Conoway and I'll be taking care of you tonight. Let's start with what happened." The doctor said, sitting on his stool.

"I was skating around and I stepped on a hockey puck." I told him, pushing myself up in a better sitting position.

"I'm going to go ahead and take a look at your knee." He rolled down and began examining my knee.

"Well, I can't really tell much due to all the swelling. I'm going to go ahead and order a cat scan to see what's going on, but I'm pretty sure you've torn your ACL. A nurse will come in and get you started on fluids." Said Dr. Conoway. He patted my lower thigh before leaving the room.

It wasn't long before the nurse came in and administered my pain medication. It kicked in within minutes, making me loopy like never before. "Hey, Mitch!" I giggled.

"What's up, babe?" He asked, turning his attention from the TV to me.

"What do you call a cow with no legs?" I asked with a goofy grin.

"I don't know, what?" Mitch played along.

"Ground beef!" I started dying laughing. The kind of dying laughing that make your abs hurt. Mitch just laughed at my comment and turned back to the crime show he had taken interest in. "Mitchie." I whined, gaining his attention once again.

"Yes, Alicia?"

"I wanna cuddle." I whined again, holding my arms out to him like a toddler that wanted to be picked up.

"Babe, I hate to tell you, but that bed is too small and I don't want to hurt you." He said with a small laugh.

"But Mitchie." I gave him my best puppy dog eyes and waited for him to give in.

"Nope, sorry. Those puppy dog eyes aren't going to work on me. We can cuddle when we get home, for now just try and take a nap." I huffed and rolled over so my back was facing him. I watched whatever show he had on and sleep finally caught up with me.

When I woke up they had my knee all wrapped up and the brace on. I sat up quickly and stared at my leg. "Woah! Did I time travel?" I asked, causing the nurse, the doctor, and Mitch to bust out laughing.

"No, Alicia. They just gave you some medicine to help you sleep." Mitch told me, still laughing.

"Bu- But time travel?" I said, obviously very disappointed.

The doctor only laughed and handed Mitch a packet before leaving the room. "Come on gimpy, let's get you home." Mitch laughed, pulling a wheelchair over to my bed side. The nurse helped me into the wheelchair while Mitch held it steady. The nurse put the foot rest things up before getting my crutches situated with me.

The nurse held the door open and Mitch pushed me out. "Charge!" I yelled, stabbing my finger in the air. Mitch laughed and kept pushing me at the same speed. "You're no fun." I huffed.

"Safety over amusement." Mitch replied.

After getting me home and down from the pain meds, Mitch and I went to bed. He was afraid to hurt me so kept a safe distance. I couldn't fall sleep with him right next to me without some form of physical contact. "Mitch?" I whispered, just loud enough for him to hear me if he was awake. When he didn't respond I scooted over and curled into him. His arms subconsciously wrapped around me and I was out like a light.