I Think You Might Have A Problem • MysteryPearl

January 2nd, 2017

Seriatim (adverb): Taking one subject after another in regular order; point by point.

---------------

Pearl sighed as she watched Garnet and Steven leave the temple in the middle of the night. Garnet was taking him on an important mission by herself and they would be gone for the next three days. She had decided to stay behind due to...recent events. Why Amethyst stayed behind, she wasn't really sure.

Still, she thought, it'll be a good learning experience. Even without us.

Pearl sat down on the couch, thinking about their last mission. Why didn't I check sooner? Maybe I could've saved it...

She gave another sigh. She knew there was nothing she could've done but to see it like that...in ruins and deserted. It was a real shame.

"There's no use feeling bad over it," She said to herself. Nevertheless the image of Rose's sanctuary remained in her head as she walked over to the cupboards, searching for tea bags. She had spent all night worrying over it and it had really exhausted her.

"You've got to be kidding me," She grumbled to herself. They were all out and it was much too late to go get more.

She looked in the fridge to see if maybe there was anything in there, moving a few things around when something caught her eye.

Fifteen Years Ago

Pearl shuffled home that night in distress. "Why him?" She kept saying, "Stupid Greg. Stupid humans. St-Stupid babies."

Apparently Rose was really going through with having a kid. Pearl tried so hard to convince her not to, the others did too, but in the end it was 'Rose's decision.'

"Hey Pearl!" Amethyst had been on the beach, disguised as a turtle when she saw Pearl who for some reason was wearing a giant coat and seemed to be very poorly hiding something in it.

Amethyst quickly shapeshifted back to normal and ran over to her with a smile. Pearl didn't even look at her.

"You ok?" Amethyst asked more carefully.

"I'm fine," Pearl walked into her room, closing the door on Amethyst. Pearl slid down the door, feeling tears form in her eyes.

She looked over at the small box of bottles she had bought from the store. She had always seen sad humans buying and drinking the stuff and quite honestly Pearl was running out of options.

She grabbed one bottle and took a large gulp of the disgusting brown liquid. Even though it tasted terrible, even worse than some of the human food she had tried, Pearl felt her mind slowly begin to cloud.

Curiously she took another drink and another until she had almost forgotten about Rose completely. She didn't leave her room until every last bottle was empty.

Despite barely being able to walk and taking ten minutes to open her door, she managed to make it out to the beach in one piece.

"Pearl!" Amethyst's eyes widened. She had been sitting outside the door, "Where've you been?" She questioned and once she got closer added, "Why do you smell funny?"